1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leghorn hen with drooping comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1949lea, Oct 12, 2015.

1. 1949lea

1949lea New Egg

May 15, 2015
    I have a leghorn that has stopped laying about a week ago, her comb is droopy the outer edge is turning dark. She is still eating and is showing some aggression towards the other hens. Any suggestions??? She is about 2 years old.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey 1949lea

How is your Leghorn going?

I am definitely not an expert at what ails chickens but as no-one else has replied, I will see if I can help.

Is she making frequent trips to the nest box at all or looking like she is straining to lay an egg? She may be egg bound.

I believe Leghorns are not prone to broodiness but she may be an exception.

Any chance she is coming into a moult? This could be the reason she has stopped laying and because she is not feeling 100%, picking on the other hens.

Is she showing any other symptoms of being unwell? Do her poops look normal?

3. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    If her combs darker then normal on the edges might be mites or fleas. My girls combs hang over their faces normally, some times their combs look darker and when i hold them i find out its dirt. If she hasnt layed could she be molting?

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Is she drinking water good? I know when the comb flops over sometimes that a sign of dehydration.

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Leghorns have rooster large combs they are normally huge, but i agree if its more then normal then dehydration could be a cause.

6. 1949lea

1949lea New Egg

May 15, 2015
    She died this morning never did figure out what was wrong with her. We got 6 chicks two years ago 2 each of bard rock, rhode island reds and leghorns...Both of the leghorns have died don't think I'll get any more even though they were the best egg layers of the bunch.

We brought 2 chicks with us from our son's flock they are about 6 weeks old one is a brad rock the other looks like it is at least part rhode island red. His rooster is the most beautiful creature I've ever seen. I'll have to try to post a picture of him sometime.

7. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    So sorry about that. Definitely post pics of urban new babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by