leghorn hens and laying fisrt egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnyDayz, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    My leghorn is about 22 weeks old now and I hope to get an egg soon!
    Her comb and wattles are developing and her face has gotten noticably redder.
    For those of you with white leghorns, how old were they when you got an egg, and how developed was her comb/wattles?
    Thanks!

2. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Anyone?

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    You'll probably get one soon :O Leghorns mature earlier than most chooks, and mine matured around 20-something weeks [​IMG]

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a photo of mine about a week before she layed an egg at 22 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    Her comb suddenly (like overnight) became very red and floppy (bigger than what's pictured here), and that day (after much growling and clucking) she gave us her first egg. She's an old pro after a week. My other leghorn still looks like this picture and is the same age so she's 23+ weeks now and my holdout.[​IMG]
    Those last weeks of waiting seem like an eternity!

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have 4 pearls in my flock from McMurray Hatchery. One started laying at 16.5 weeks, and has laid an egg a day, since (12 days). My second leghorn started laying 2 days ago at 18 weeks old. The other 2 are starting to get their combs/wattles but they are not as mature.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I went out to get pictures for ya. (and good thing too, I had an escapee I wasn't aware of).

This lady, with comb flopped over, is a layer:
    [​IMG]

The second picture, although not well taken, shows a leghorn almost ready to lay on the left, compared with the same laying leghorn on the right. It took about a week for her to grow these combs/wattles. As soon as it starts to get so big it flops over, you'll have a layer. Maybe another few days for this girl:
    [​IMG]

7. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    I know it's hard to believe, but my white leghorns all started laying at about 15 weeks~! I don't know if it's cause it's so hot here in tx, or that they were with geese that got so big so quick, but they are really really consistent layers, even when it is 105 degrees~! I'm going to start going to the farmers market and sell a dz for $3.00. Gives me something to do, and we can't eat 8 eggs a day. I would look around at where they like to hang out, they may be hiding them [​IMG] jennifer

8. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Mine white leghorns started to lay this week and they are 19 weeks!!!

9. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    My white Leghorn started laying 3 days ago, and she will be 20 weeks tomorrow. Cute little white eggs. [​IMG]

10. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    We have a food scale that weighs in grams, and all the eggs started out in the low 40 grams, and many times we would get double yolks and they were really big eggs, that has culled down some. But now the eggs are getting bigger every week. They look just like store bought Large eggs. It is like Christmas everyday, I do wonder if this should be as exciting as it is?? Am I totally crazy? [​IMG] Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by