leghorn hens retireds egg factory girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jarvis, May 20, 2011.

1. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    whats the best way to get my girls lookin healthy ?? there feathers are patchy .. their nails are super long ( very much thinking about trimming them so they can walk and scratch around better .. [​IMG] ) they dont know how to respond to being in a big grassy run =S they want to run and hide in the coop ( scarredy hens ) there slowly getting better about wandering outside .. they have about ten hens and two roosters( a mutt and a very cocky seabright ) that have grown up as backyard chickens .. but arent learning as much as i hoped from them .. the others stay outside most of the day running around the run .. and running up to ppl for food as soon as they see some one walking up .. [​IMG] whats a good food or treats i can give them to fatten and feather them up .. ?? i dont have any pics of them as they stay at grandpas with his "big" chickens .. and down here i just have the youngins .. also when i set up the big coop for my whole flock .. how should i intgrate them together .. im tryin to wait as long as possible for the youngins to get big enough to fend for themselves against the leghorn hens ..

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    They need more time to lurn to be free.They will grow some feathers now but will feater complitely when molt .

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Ve, I agree. They should start looking better with a little TLC and good food. I would trim the nails, definitely. I think they will warm up to the run, but they say that battery hens never are the same as homegrown hens, so they may be just on the skittish side for their life.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    A couple of years ago I got 6 retired battery hens. They were the sex link reds. They took a while to learn to be hens, but they did learn and now act just like the ones who have been free all their lives.

5. jarvis

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    i was hopin the homegrowns would were off on them .. =/ i dont think i can complain about them being skittish .. for one dollar each .. they have got alot more feathers since i got them .. im thinking getting them down here away from the rooster at grandpas may help .. as he pulls feathers .. especially of his favortie girls .. .. =/ hes such a sweet handsome guy tho [​IMG] arent leghorns kinda skittish anyways ..?? even if the are homegrown .. grandpas one leghorn ( raised from a baby ) always was the hardest to cathch .. and stay the farthest away even when foods goin around .. .=/..

6. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Good for you, to rescue those factory girls! Would love to see pics of them.

7. jarvis

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    hehe theyd mess with all the ppl who think the comb and wattles make them a rooster [​IMG] theses girls all have huge red red combs lol .. if i catch them standing out of the coop when i drive by ill snap some pics of them .. and grandpas flock ( that i raised from babies except the big rooster .. and the tiny black banty pair ... [​IMG] ) [​IMG] ( and last years four ducks that i raised hehe ) i raised them for him lol .. and sold the ones he didnt want (the silkies and the polish .. lol and a banty roo )

8. jarvis

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    heres some pics of the girls ( not real good ones there hard to get pics of ) ( and some of the home raised chickens .. in the back ground or up in front ) lol

[​IMG]

(gpa is keepin the two brown leghorn hens .. the look the worst or all the hens .. ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] they look way better than when we first got them ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by