Sit'n on the porch

Pics
In Italy they are not the little egg laying machines they are here. They lay at a much normal rate. Part of the breeding program in the US was to select for birds that did not have a tendency to go broody which costs you valuable egg laying time. Therefore no other chickens lay eggs at the rate of the US leghorn without stopping.

In the net. In Italy they are as they once were. In the US we have breed them to be little egg laying machines
Well, extra kale for the leghorns

It is that time of day, you all sleep well. Good night

48425106_10218938697722520_5014680849895915520_n.jpg

CVoKPAMUsAElYvG.jpg The last 2 days I have only gotten 3 eggs. Yesterday when I went out at 5:30 to open the coop door, I noticed the hen were "having a snack" one of them laid an egg from the roost and it broke- they have dropped eggs before and they didn't eat them because they didn't break -

SO, I got up at 4 a.m. today so I could go out early enough to open the door before the hen dropped an egg - TO LATE! she did and it broke, but the hens were still on the roost and didn't eat it. So, I went to the shop and plugged the light in the timer, I set it to come on at 3:45 a.m.-- maybe the egg dropping hen will not be lazy and get off the roost and into the nesting box.
36402060_1907893752601323_8947613897838297088_n.jpg

View attachment 2176163 The last 2 days I have only gotten 3 eggs. Yesterday when I went out at 5:30 to open the coop door, I noticed the hen were "having a snack" one of them laid an egg from the roost and it broke- they have dropped eggs before and they didn't eat them because they didn't break -

SO, I got up at 4 a.m. today so I could go out early enough to open the door before the hen dropped an egg - TO LATE! she did and it broke, but the hens were still on the roost and didn't eat it. So, I went to the shop and plugged the light in the timer, I set it to come on at 3:45 a.m.-- maybe the egg dropping hen will not be lazy and get off the roost and into the nesting box.
This whole roost laying still has me confused. Could you lower the roost and put cushiony hay below it so they don't break?

This whole roost laying still has me confused. Could you lower the roost and put cushiony hay below it so they don't break?
Maybe, I will ask my husband what he can do there. I am not sure why she would lay in the box Wen. - Mon. . and then not T - R ? I guess when you got to go; you gott'a go

Maybe, I will ask my husband what he can do there. I am not sure why she would lay in the box Wen. - Mon. . and then not T - R ? I guess when you got to go; you gott'a go
I. Thinking that is part of it. It's time. Leghorns are so driven to lay that i think it is hard for them to hold onto it.

Back
Top Bottom