Sit'n on the porch

Pics
Are your Leghorns hatchery birds. Right now I have a Rhode Island White, White Leghorn and a Dark Brown Leghorn who want to brood. Not going to happen. I am saving the eggs to put in the incubator. I never had White Orpingtons but have had Buff Orpingtons years ago. Hatchery birds don't go broody like heritage birds do. I don't know why but from my experiences they haven't. My Rhode Island Whites are usually more broody than my other birds. Good luck and have fun...
All of my chickens have been either from the Farm Store or the right from McMurry Hatchery. All my chickens have gone broody except the Pearl White Leghorns. I have had Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps and Bared Rocks. I haven't had White Orpingtons before eather, I am looking forward to this little experiment.

Last edited:
Most of my birds have floppy combs but some have straight up combs. I have been breeding them for several years. I show them at poultry shows. One of the judges remarked that their backs weren't long enough so I have been picking out birds with the longest backs. I didn't show last year or this year yet because most of the shows were cancelled due to covid. I am curious how the birds will place.

Most of my birds have floppy combs but some have straight up combs. I have been breeding them for several years. I show them at poultry shows. One of the judges remarked that their backs weren't long enough so I have been picking out birds with the longest backs. I didn't show last year or this year yet because most of the shows were cancelled due to covid. I am curious how the birds will place.
Going forward I do plan on hatching my own chicks, thats why I needed a good Mother Hen. I did hatch a few eggs several years ago with the Buffs. That must be fun going to show with the hens.

This is one of my RIR hens that was a champion. She is on champion row waiting to get her picture taken.
IMG_3456.JPG

A few changes in the coop,:
I am switching the hens over to Scratch & Peck's new layer pellets
I am getting 5 more Leghorn chicks and To be the Mother hens 4 White Buff Orpingtons
I always liked Scratch and Peck but the hens wasted so much of the feed. So I used Purina Organic Pellets. BUT NOW! S&P has pellets WOOHOO :wee
What is it you love about scratch and peck? I have not seen it here.

Back
Top Bottom