Leghorn Hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shennon, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Shennon

Shennon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Hello, I have five Leghorn hens and one Leghorn roster. My hens are almost a year old, I'm not really sure how old my roster is but I have had him for a couple of years now. My hens have been laying eggs all "winter", we have not had much cold weather here in North West Georgia. I was wondering if anyone knew when Leghorns started hatching off their eggs off. I'm still trying to learn about chickens and they are free range chickens and I know where their nests are at but I really want to start letting them hatch some eggs off. Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Are you trying to breed them and let them hatch their own babies?
    When the weather is very warm and spring/summer comes around, they should be starting to try and hatch eggs. But not all chicken breeds are "broody" or eager to be mothers. Some breeds simply lay their eggs and then carry on with free ranging and other chicken business. I've never had Leghorns, but my d'Uccles and d'Anver hens are very broody and love hatching babies. If you want babies from your hens, your best bet would be hatching them out yourself with an incubator if they haven't already tried hatching babies.
    If you don't want to buy an incubator to hatch chicks, you can easily make your own with a lamp and Styrofoam cooler.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Homemade-Incubator-for-Chicks
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    If you're wanting your hens to go broody and hatch chicks, you might want to get another breed. Leghorns are not known for broodiness, and while it's possible they will go broody and be a good mom, if you really want chicks add another breed.

Silkies, Orpingtons, Cochins, D'uccles - all breeds that are supposed to be good broodies (though this does not mean every hen will go broody and be a good mom). You could also get or make an incubator like Venevee suggested.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You may want to buy a couple known Broody breeds to hatch out your Leghorn eggs....?
    I have 3 Broody Hens and it sure is easier with the hens doing all the work.......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by