0.0%
  2. Cist

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I have 18 hens 12 of which are leghorn hens all a year old. About a month now I have been keeping an eye on this one hen because she had a small lump on the side of her face. It has been growing. Today when I looked at her I noticed it's actually gotten bigger and almost covering her eye. I finally caught her today and took a closer look at it. It's hard and she couldn't see on that side anymore. What do you think? Tumor ? Would I need to worry about the rest of my flock??
    Here are a few pictures I took IMG_20190112_161115.jpg IMG_20190112_161219.jpg IMG_20190112_161219.jpg

Attached Files:

Clubber1234 likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C Wind? Bah!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm going to move your post over to the ER forum. The good members that are so knowledgeable and helpful with medical issues should have some good input for you.

Wishing you & your girl the best!

3. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Looks like a bad case of Coryza :hmm At this point it most likely will have to be surgically removed. Are you able to take her to a vet? If not then i'd check out this video on how to remove it yourself..

DobieLover and N F C like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A swollen eye and face can be a bacterial sinus infection. That can be mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or even E.coli. Do you see any bubbles, foam, or pus in the eye? Can you get a closeup of her eye from the side? MG can be treated with Tylan 50 injectable given by mouth. Coryza may have a bad odor. Dose she smell bad around her head? Do you see any evidence of a peck wound? Coryza is treated more with sulfa antibiotics, such as SMZ-TMP or fish sulfa, and a combination of that and Tylan. E.coli could also be treated with sulfa.

Are you seeing any cough or sneeze, gasping, chest rattles or wheezing? Here is a good link that give details about MG and coryza:
    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    @Eggcessive thank you for your response.she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms.how do they even get this -coryza? I have never had any thing like this before.is it contagious to the rest of the flock?

DobieLover and Anna Ranieri like this.
  6. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I just rew
    Edited
    I read an article about coryza - I separated her last night. And will see what the husband says. We have had a lot of rain and the run and yard has been really muddy, but the coop they sleep in is hosed down every other day. But it's possible that wild birds had it and left droppings . . Uggh

Anna Ranieri likes this.
  7. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I didn't see any bubbles in or near the eye. No cough or sneezing either.

Anna Ranieri likes this.
  8. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you- I wasn't sure where to post

N F C and Anna Ranieri like this.
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not a respiratory disease at all. That hen is chowing down like the rest of the birds and sick birds dont chow down. The rest of the flock would be showing symptoms as well because the start of the swelling has been going on for a month when it was first noticed.
    If it's a cyst, you can feel it move under the skin. If it doesnt move, it's a tumor. The way you describe it, it sounds like a tumor. It's probably best to take the hen to a vet.

10. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I think you are right about that. Since she has been eating well and not showing any other signs - she can run like the road runner she's fast..lol- her coat and her wattles look healthy too.

Anna Ranieri likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: