Leghorn injured in birdbath accident - broken wing?

amyvk

Hatching
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Yesterday I arrived home to see the top of our stone birdbath facing upside-down on the ground. When I flipped it over, my poor leghorn was lying underneath. At first I was sure she wouldn't make it - she was bloody and woozy, but after a bit she stood up, and drank a bit of water. She walked around a bit and made it to the coop. She is still alive this morning and looking better, but her right wing is hanging low.

Is this an injury that might heal on its own if left alone, or is it something that would have to be "set"? Should I just wait and see? Has anyone ever "set" a broken chicken wing? I'm fond of my birds, but I'd have a really hard time spending $60 (or more!) at the vet for a $1.99 layer... Thoughts?

I don't know if can help. I hope everything will be ok . I am sure that others can help
fl.gif

I'm new to this whole chicken-thing but I'd suspect that with any break it would be best to see a doctor (in this case, vet). If it's a clean break usually, the bone could just be popped back into place and bandaged up to heal however, you really don't have a way of knowing unless x-rays are done. If there's bone fragments and it doesn't heal properly, there is a risk of infection. We recently have a slightly similar issue regarding a chick we just bought. It seems like it dislocated its leg and I'm not sure what to do. Just like you, I really like my birds, but for a $2 chick...is it really worth the vet bill? Anyways, chances are that if you left it, it could probably heal, but it would most likely be in a way that her wing couldn't be able to be used as effectively.... again, it wouldn't hurt to at least call a vet and discuss what could be done instead of bringing your hen in for a full blown vet check-up price... Good luck. I hope she feels better.

If you have a wildlife center, you could call them also...Mine had chickens at one point.
You might have to tape her wing to her body so that she doesn't use it...I know...Leghorns not use a wing?!!
Can you catch her and feel the wing? You should also separate her from the rest of the birds and put some aspirin in her water for the pain.

Equest, could your chick have spraddle leg? that's when one leg isn't in the right spot. You can help that by using an ordinary bandaid. Attach the tape parts to the little one's legs and let the pad part keep the legs apart. It takes a few days to work, but has been known to do the trick.

Last edited:
smile.png

Good News! After a couple of days of leaving her alone, Lola Leghorn is doing great. The first day after her accident she didn't fly at all - just hopped around the lower part of the coop, but day after day she held her wing a little bit higher (I didn't tape it - figured I'd give it a few days to see what happened), and by today, she was roosting in the rafters of the coop - good as new!

Thanks all, for your help!

Back
Top Bottom