Leghorn Laying down a lot

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 16 paws, Aug 14, 2014.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    I have a Leghorn that is about 4 months old. I dont know if it is a pullet or cockerel. It is perfectly healthy looking but I noticed that it lays down a lot. Is this something that is common for this breed? None of my other chickens lay down that much.
    Thanks for any input....

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Leghorns are usually pretty active, 'flighty' even...are you sure it's a leghorn, can you post a pic?

3. 16 paws

Yes, I will get a picture today.
    Thanks
    Marie

4. 16 paws

Ok, I got the pictures,
    He, (I think) was laying down just before I walked up. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The legs look much bigger than any of my other birds. The second picture shows the left one looks almost swollen. Never any accident or fight. He always seems to be off by himself. Eating and drinking fine. Gets along with everyone but is very shy. The legs look clean, no scaly leg mites that I can see. I have about 31 chickens and no other health problems or bugs.
    Thanks
    Marie

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I was thinking he might be a cornishX but he sure does look like a leghorn....those legs do not look right, but I have no idea what's up with that, sorry.

I'd post these pics and explanation over on the disease forum.

6. 16 paws

Ok,
    I post it on that thread. Hopefully someone will know what is going on. I feel bad I didnt post it sooner but I thought he was just a chill kind of guy.
    Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by