Leghorn laying "watery" type egg. Hasn't laid real egg in months.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StephLK, Jul 6, 2016.

1. StephLK

StephLK New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Hi all,

I have a 3 year old leghorn who has been an awesome little producer for us. She stopped laying about 2 months ago. Since then I have gotten two very small little eggs from her. I had assumed her egg life was over and she would now just become our little chicken friend around the house (she is my daughters favorite chicken). The past week I have been noticing she is going into the box to lay but when I check later there is no egg. There is, however, a "watery" type of substance - there is white matter in the middle, clear around the outside. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was worried she was sick, but she is eating/drinking/pooping normal. There has been no stress or changes to environment/flock/daily life. I've checked for mites/worms and nothing.

Help me! Thank you![​IMG]

2. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    it looks like she is either laying soft shelled eggs or is eating them. when she leaves the box does she have yolk and egg on her face?

3. StephLK

StephLK New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! No she doesn't have any yolk or egg on her face.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Fairy eggs can sometimes be formed from small bits of the oviduct lining that break off and the body treats them like they are a yolk so you get a tiny eggs. I cannot quite make out what she is laying or expressing. My guess would be she's making some of the internal parts of the egg but can't make the rest. It could be her system is shutting down or not working correctly. It's good she acting fine as I don't think you can do anything for her.

5. StephLK

StephLK New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! :( I was afraid there was nothing we could do..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by