1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn laying yolkless eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnrat, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have 3 leghorns and 3 Rhode Island Reds. They are all 11 months old, and all started laying around the end of November. Until recently, all were laying good size eggs, and I had been getting 4-6 eggs a day steadily since February.

About 3 weeks ago, I found a very small white egg, and was yolkless. Since then I have never had more than 2 leghorn eggs a day (the 3 reds are regularly laying daily), and then yesterday I found another very small yolkless egg.

Clearly something is amiss with one of my leghorns, but all are acting normal and show no signs of illness or distress.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I haven't experience this, but I'm wondering if they not getting some important in thier diets.....but i'm not an expert! I'll give you bump and see if some else can answer you.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the suggestion to search; for some reason I always forget to do that! I found some useful information, although this seems to be more common when the pullet is just starting to lay and mine has been laying normally for 4+ months. However, it does sound like it's pretty normal so I'm not going to worry about it as long as she seems to be doing fine otherwise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by