1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn not laying...is this gleet or an infection? (vent photo)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonya9, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Recently acquired a leghorn, I am guessing she is at least 2 years old. When I first got her she laid 2-3 eggs the first week. Since then no eggs for 2 weeks.

She has a bunch of light yellow discharge, other than that she shows no signs of illness (busy foraging, recently started roosting overall fine). Because she is a production bird I do worry about reproductive issues, does this look like a simple case of gleet? The discharge does have a pale yellow color whereas I expect gleet to look white.

I did shoot a bit of miconazole nitrate into her vent earlier today but that was after taking the pix.

Her rear end does not look white, this bird had been kept in a cage her whole life and when I got her she had really bad concrete pasty butt, she had probably been in that condition for a few months at least. I gave her a good bath after she settled in however the feathers stayed a light brown. Add in this problem and her butt looks worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Try giving her probiotics.

3. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Thanks. I will add some to their water. I just hope this is a simple yeast infection and nothing more.

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Good luck!
    I think adding Vaseline to the vent area might also help.

5. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Just found a perfect large white egg in the nest box! It is definitely from her. I guess I can stop imagining horrible reproductive problems/infections now.

Whewww. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  6. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Hooray!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by