Leghorn not looking normal

Chickencarer515

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2022
Hi I’m new to this group and one of my leghorn chickens is looking a bit funny her earlobes have turned yellow and so have her feet also her comb has shrunk it should be long and floppy but its gone really weird looking! All her flockmates have white earlobes and white feet with healthy Combs can someone please tell me what is wrong cause this isn’t normal :(

Their combs will shrink when they quit laying from a molt or it just being wintertime.
Oh ok that’s interesting we are a quarter through summer, it’s just weird she is the only one who’s comb has shrunk! what could the yellow earlobes and feet be?

Can you post a picture here of the said hen so that we can see?
4FAAE084-7AA7-4C61-8E22-48143CACE8EC.jpeg
28EAE19D-C963-489B-9856-749F7C8699B0.jpeg

Here’s some photos. She’s just been acting funny and doesn’t look quite normal compare to her flockmates, it’s a bit odd! Could it be something internal? we just have no idea

I do remember some of mines earlobes turning yellowish, but don't remember if it was during the comb shrinkage period. I'll look at mine again afterwhile when I go back down there. Mine all quit laying recently and some are mini molting so it is a perfect time to look.

Did you know that also when they are laying, their legs are a paler yellow and when they quit laying, they can turn back to the darker yellow?

The combs and leg colors dont change all of a sudden but over a little time and it doesn't seem to happen to all of them before they go back to laying or some are more pronounced than others. I have seen their comb go all the way back down to where they look like a 3 month old pullet and then go right back to normal size.

Don't rule out anyting else but sounds like it has quit laying for the time being. Some of the other hens may follow.

View attachment 2959002View attachment 2959003
Here’s some photos. She’s just been acting funny and doesn’t look quite normal compare to her flockmates, it’s a bit odd! Could it be something internal? we just have no idea
I agree with @jher77, it sounds like these changes might be due to her not laying, though it's good to keep an eye on her regardless. If you can, try and see how her poops look, and take some time to observe if she is eating, drinking, and doing normal chicken things like scratching, walking normally, interacting with flockmates, etc.

Ok this is my observation of what chickens I have. They are all white leghorns. All of the young ones hatched from the older ones. They are NOT the pearl white leghorn breed, which I think has slightly different leg colorings and are not bred true to white leghorn standards.

MALES

My 2.5 month old cockerels don't have earlobes yet. Very yellow legs. Yellow as corn.

My 3 month old cockerels have earlobes are yellowish. Definately yellower than the feathers. Very yellow legs. Yellow as corn.

My 2 yr old rooster has yellow earlobes. They are very yellowish and huge. Yellow legs. Not as yellow as the cockerels but still yellow.

So it kinda looks like all of the males may have yellowish earlobes from the beginning.

FEMALES

My 2.5 month old pullets don't have earlobes yet. Very yellow legs.

My 3 month old pullets (pre-laying) all have white earlobes. Same shade/color of white as the feathers. Very yellow legs.

My 2 yr old Hens (all quit laying recently, some longer than others) have a mixture of earlobe colors. One has yellowish earlobes but the others are more white. The one that has yellowish earlobes, I think the comb has shrunk just enough to notice it isn't as big as it used to be, but barely noticable. All combs are still red. All legs are a very pale yellow.

So maybe you can judge who is laying by the earlobe color too, not sure.

Here is basically the difference in leg colors between my young chickens/chicks and the laying chickens.

Untitled.png

I had 2 ancona hens which are cousins of the leghorn breeds, and they also had yellow earlobes temporarily while molting and not laying. The shrunken comb could also be from that, and with shortened daylight hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom