Leghorn or White Plymouth Rock?

laughingdog52

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Eastern Oregon
I have 4 White Plymouth Rock (10 wks) and 6 Leghorns (8wks) and I'm not sure if I can tell them apart anymore. I know that the rock has yellow legs, and the leghorn has white earlobes--any other suggestions?

I have 4 White Plymouth Rock (10 wks) and 6 Leghorns (8wks) and I'm not sure if I can tell them apart anymore. I know that the rock has yellow legs, and the leghorn has white earlobes--any other suggestions?
Well, the WL will have HUGE combs and they will have yellow legs too. There should be a huge size difference. The WR will out grow the WL pretty quickly. WL are delicate looking and WR should be BIG and SOLID.

Guess I will have to wait and see--They all look the same right now. And they don't like to have their pic taken like some do. It is a good thing that both are good layers. I would like to learn more about them, and these posts are very helpful(and fun).
caf.gif

Leghorns will be tall with much larger combs and wattles. They will be skinny compared tot he WRs. The white rocks may be friendlier than the leghorns. The leghorns will lay a solid white egg while the Rocks will lay light brown to pale pinkish brown.

Last edited:
Leghorns will have white ear lobes not pink and not red.

But their comb will be red. In most female leghorns their comb will lay over to one side.

As far as leg goes well you will have to google for the standard guidelines cause I have seen Leg Horns with both yellow and skin color legs.

Back
Top Bottom