leghorn pair I believe?

sugarjax06

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Lancaster, CA
My first time with leghorns and I know that they have larger combs in general but would you say that it is safe to assume we have a boy and girl?
They are 3 weeks which seems so early to me to be able to tell but if so then I like the idea of leghorns!
Both
62957_img_3777.jpg

"Boy"
62957_img_3794.jpg

"Girl"
62957_img_3795.jpg

I have had WL's and usually the cockerel gets his comb in pretty fast. The pullets usually get their big combs closer to time to laying. At least in my experience. From what I see I say yes you have a pair.

Last edited:
Can be hard with leghorns. My four girls had HUGE combs - the tipoff was they stayed yellow until just before POL. If there's red, I bet it's a boy. Here's one at four weeks! (and it's a girl, laying me nice white eggs now):

CIMG0736.jpg

CIMG0737.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow that is big for 4 weeks! That's kinda what I was wondering so thanks for sharing the picture. Of course, I know that I need to wait longer to tell for sure but I just wasn't positive if you can tell with leghorns really early. Sometimes experience is all you need with certain breeds Now that we've seen barred rocks young, it is pretty easy to tell them apart at 4 weeks so I figured those of you with WL experience might be able to tell.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom