1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leghorn pair I believe?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sugarjax06, Nov 3, 2010.

1. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    My first time with leghorns and I know that they have larger combs in general but would you say that it is safe to assume we have a boy and girl?
    They are 3 weeks which seems so early to me to be able to tell but if so then I like the idea of leghorns!
    Both
    [​IMG]

"Boy"
    [​IMG]

"Girl"
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    For now I'd say so, but may change in truth. Always best to give them a couple more months to really make sure.

-Daniel

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have had WL's and usually the cockerel gets his comb in pretty fast. The pullets usually get their big combs closer to time to laying. At least in my experience. From what I see I say yes you have a pair.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Can be hard with leghorns. My four girls had HUGE combs - the tipoff was they stayed yellow until just before POL. If there's red, I bet it's a boy. Here's one at four weeks! (and it's a girl, laying me nice white eggs now):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh wow that is big for 4 weeks! That's kinda what I was wondering so thanks for sharing the picture. Of course, I know that I need to wait longer to tell for sure but I just wasn't positive if you can tell with leghorns really early. Sometimes experience is all you need with certain breeds Now that we've seen barred rocks young, it is pretty easy to tell them apart at 4 weeks so I figured those of you with WL experience might be able to tell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by