Leghorn Pullets or Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FlockyFeathers, Apr 17, 2017.

1. FlockyFeathers

FlockyFeathers Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Hi all! I feel like I've scoured the internet on all things chicken before making the leap to finally get some. I saw a chart online showing the differences between baby pullets and cockerels and the pullets grew pin feathers and wing feathers really quickly whereas cockerels still looked yellow and fluffy for a long time. Can you verify between these if one is definitely a cockerel and one a pullet just by feather growth? They're 5 weeks old. My guess is the cockerel is on the left and pullet on the right?[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They both look to be feathering a bit slow (ie cockerel like) but it could be a breed thing. I have a couple. Judging by the combs, which are more reliable, neither looks overly male so far.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they're really Leghorns I'm saying both females. Little Leghorn cockerels sprout combs early and hard.
    They do seem a bit heavy bodied to be Leghorns though. Hard to say for sure. But, neither one is screaming cockerel at this point.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    From where did you get them?

6. FlockyFeathers

Apr 17, 2017
    Oh my! So is the comb a telltale sign? I have one we call King [​IMG]bc I was pretty certain he was a Roo by the way he carried himself and Queeny [​IMG](these two are currently at the top of the pecking order) are they both roosters then?? I purchased a straight run from Tractor Supply

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is the skin irritated (reddened) on the one you think is a cockerel, or is that red feathers starting to grow? I'm thinking doesn't look like a white leghorn either.

8. FlockyFeathers

Apr 17, 2017
    He's the only one that looks like that. His feathers are really patchy compared to everyone else. I was thinking maybe they get bald patchy spots before growing their new feathers like ducks do. Is that not the case with chickens? (Can you tell I'm new to this?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by