Leghorn recedeing comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystang89, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Wasn't sure where to post this. One of my leghorn hens used to have a comb that sorta flopped over. Now it looks like her comb is......going back inside her head? Is this even possible or am I going chicken crazy? If it is possible, why? It seems like it happened after she got all crazy sick on me with bloody intestinal poop. After that she stopped laying eggs and it seems like her comb is going bye bye. Think my chicks may be getting bigger combs than her.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The hormone thing connected with egg laying will make her comb bigger, and redder, and her legs change color.
    If she got sick, it will shrivel up a bit, and maybe go more pink instead of red in color. Her legs should also get lighter.
    Did you fix the sickness issue?

3. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I think I fixed it. She was real lathargic, not wanting to eat, had a hard time pooping with what looked like intestine lining shedding. I put her in the tub with some warm water, rubbed her stomach and gave her some sugar water. After that we just had to wait and see. This was about twoish weeks ago and shes eating and moving along normally now. Receding comb and no further eggs coming from her are the only thing happening with her. The comb thing had me alittle worried but if its normal then we'll just wait to see if she starts laying again.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Good, give her some time then. She should be ok in a few weeks.

5. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Sounds good, thanks alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by