1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn/Rhode Island Red cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by johnnalei, Jul 12, 2009.

1. johnnalei

johnnalei Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    I hatched some grocery store eggs and the farm says they are a rhode island/leghorn cross. They are just little yellow chickies now. Anyone have this cross and would be willing to post pics? I can't wait to see what these babies will look like!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where are you located and what is the name of the grocery store?

How many chicks did you get?

Can you show us some pics?

3. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    isnt that the Redstars?

4. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
  5. redroosta

redroosta Flown the Coop

May 29, 2009
    hybrid:

[​IMG]

father:

[​IMG]

possible mother (any of these white leghorns) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. johnnalei

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    Those are pretty cute. I got the eggs from Whole Foods in Western WA. The eggs were from Rock Island Farms, located in Petaluma, CA. I just emailed them to find out what they were. The mom must be the RR b/c the eggs were brown. I'll take some pics in the next week or so and post them in raising baby chicks. Anyone else have pics?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well if it has White Leghorn in them they could be like a sex link. If they used a Brown or Buff Leghorn they could be like the production reds...

Rhode Island Reds have the Leghorn blood in the making of it to start with so they would just be a little better layers and less broody.

Chris

8. johnnalei

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't sex links have to have the RIR as the father and the leghorn as the mother? In this case it's reversed. All the chicks are yellow and are feathering white (out of the dozen). Only 5 made it to hatching and through a water disaster where I lost one, but the ones that didn't make it were also yellow.

9. redroosta

redroosta Flown the Coop

May 29, 2009
    does that mean I have red sex links it was red rooster over white hen and

this hen:

[​IMG]

circled in orange would be also a RIR/leghorn cross, she is the rooster in the previous picture's brother.

she is all white and her eggs are very extremely light brown, only way you can notice is if you have a white egg and hers next to each other.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  10. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    ya does it ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by