Leghorn roo + silkie hen Possible hatch?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Obyli, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    My silkie hen started laying today for the first time and she is 23 weeks old. We thought she was a rooster and now I end up with 4 hens and no silkie rooster. I ve seen my hen mated with my leghorn rooster. If I put eggs in the future in the incubator, will my fertile egg hatch? I am worry that the leghorn size and silkie size not the same and when the little embryo is in there it won't fit the crossed breed

2. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    anyone?

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
  4. Herechicks

Herechicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Montana
    I've had leghorn x silke and I usually get a chick that has a mohawk thing going on instead of a crest. And after they are born I can't tell if its a hen or a rooster. I've never gotten sex link chicks from them. They were all blue cause thier dad was a blue silkie and mom was a white leghorn. So ?????????????????? They don't have silkie feathers but they usually do end up with feathers that aren't barred.

5. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    according to that thread.. the dad needs be a leghorn and the mom a silkie to get the sex-links.

6. Herechicks

Herechicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Montana
    oh okay cool [​IMG] might have to try that [​IMG] If I can get anymore chickens.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:is the OTHER WAY around, Dad needs to be Silkie and the hen Leghorn...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by