Leghorn Roos

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantyHugger, Aug 6, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Are they friendly? Will they attack me? Some people near me are giving them away and i want a roo. What do you guys think?

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I think it really depends on the bird. As a breed they are supposed to be more flighty, but we have a friend who has a couple white leghorn roos that are lap boys, real cuddle roos. I am sure others will have stories the opposite way. I would ask the people why they are selling them and what their demeanor is. I am sure more experienced people will chime in.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    leghorns tend to crow A LOT! be sure that's the type you want!

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Listen to miss_jayne! My leghorn Roo crowed ALL DAY and even ALL NIGHT long! Never ending.... He was very very tame as a youngster but when the hormones hit, well he was a little sneaky devil, but not too too bad.. I love my leghorn roo, but he went to a home to be a breeder...I miss him dearly.

5. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I don't want a cuddle buddy. I want a boy who will protect the girls. I would prefer though that he didn't attack ME. Their getting rid of them because they don't want fertile eggs. Some people feel its like killing a chick. Its OK if he crows from dawn till dusk (and in the middle of the night if he feels the need). They free range on 2 acres. Also our neighbors roo's never quit so it doesn't make any difference. I have a banty roo who weighs all of 1.5 lbs and he is too small to 'service' the big girls. I need a bigger boy but not 1 so big he'll hurt my little 4lb Leghorn girl. I just want to know if they have an aggressive track record.

6. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I had 3 leghorn roos, and they were all mean, especially to my kids...If my kids walked out of the house and the roos saw them, they would come charging after them. I will never own another leghorn roo....even the hens are aggressive to the other hens.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:that's what my husband ALWAYS says. [​IMG]

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I think i'll start another post about the best type of roo. I don't want a mean little bugger. No Leghorn.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

My leghorn is a doll and an excellent protector of his girls and he does not crow all day. We adore him and think he is so handsome. I don't have one bad thing to say about him.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by