1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn Rooster or Hen????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tammylee, Jan 30, 2015.

1. tammylee

tammylee New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    I believe this chicken is about 5 months old. It definitely seems like a rooster... but ive heard leghorns can be skiddish. Any help would be great![​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. tammylee

tammylee New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    Thank you for your input. I have it in with another barred rock rooster. The BR crowed the other day and this Leghorn was positioning its neck as if to answer. But ive never heard another crow since. Im not even sure if it crowed or if it was the BR. These two were raised as chick together and have been picking on eachother since then.

Ive also read that leghorn hen's comb with flop over... this one is straight up. which is another reason I supsect roo....

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It usually takes closer to a year for the hen's combs to flop over depending on daylength and sexual maturity.

I grew up with white leghorns and have raised blacks. When I had blacks, they were with many other breeds including minorcas, anconas and other Med breeds as well as American, English and Continentals and I really didn't pay a lot of attention to when the comb flopped over.
    I know there are people that should chime in with much more leghorn experience.

I just can't tell by the picture. Are the hackle feathers pointed or rounded? The tail does have some curved feathers.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He is a Plymouth Rock or a Plymouth Rock Cross not a Leghorn.
    Look at the Earlobes, there Red, Leghorns are White. Plus the body type is all off for a Leghorn.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    white spot

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I see a little lightness to the lobe color but that's about it.
    I still think he is more Plymouth Rock than Leghorn.

8. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Can you show a pic of the feathers closer?. I always ignore the comb and waffles (stupid autocorrect!! You know what I mean.) I go by the feathers only. Look at the saddle and heckle feathers. If the saddle feathers are long, narrow and pointy it's a boy. But if they are short, wide, rounded and lay down evenly against the back you've got a hen. Much more accurate in my opinion!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Chris09. He may have some White Leghorn in him, but he is primarily a White Rock rooster.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a White Rock or White Rock mix rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by