Leghorn Rooster x various breeds

Welllaidacres

Songster
Jan 2, 2020
Eastern Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
I have a leghorn rooster. My hen flock is leghorns, isa browns, barred rocks, whiting true blues and whiting true greens, a few australorps, a few Rhode Island reds and some Easter egger. I know very little about egg genetics. I’ve tried researching this but either find something that’s in regards to targeting green or blue eggs or is way too scientific for my understanding. Can some one help me with what kind of egg colors I would get if I hatched eggs? Also I assume I could expect solid production from these crosses as well but please let me know if I’m wrong. Are any of these crosses going to be sex link?

from a leghorn rooster with an isa brown
Leghorn rooster and whiting true green
Leghorn rooster and whiting true blue
Leg horn rooster and barred rock
Leg horn rooster and australorp
Leghorn x leghorn
Leghorn x Rhode Island red
Leghorn x Rhode Island white
Leghorn x welsumner

I have a leghorn rooster. My hen flock is leghorns, isa browns, barred rocks, whiting true blues and whiting true greens, a few australorps, a few Rhode Island reds and some Easter egger. I know very little about egg genetics. I’ve tried researching this but either find something that’s in regards to targeting green or blue eggs or is way too scientific for my understanding. Can some one help me with what kind of egg colors I would get if I hatched eggs? Also I assume I could expect solid production from these crosses as well but please let me know if I’m wrong. Are any of these crosses going to be sex link?

Leghorn x leghorn
Leghorn x welsumner
The only sexlinks you’ll get would be from your Leghorn rooster and barred rock hens. They’ll give you black sexlinks which means males will carry sexlinked barring. As for egg color, you should get light blue, light green, and cream/brown layers. the only ones that’ll lay white would be your pure leghorn crosses.

I didn't see mention of your Leghorn's variety. The Barred Rock hens will give you sexlinks only if your Leghorn male is NOT white. White Leghorns are dominant white, so all chicks from him (if he's white) would be white or yellowish with maybe some black flecks in that cross, no way of seeing if the chick has a head spot or not.

I have a leghorn rooster. My hen flock is leghorns, isa browns, barred rocks, whiting true blues and whiting true greens, a few australorps, a few Rhode Island reds and some Easter egger. I know very little about egg genetics.
For egg color, I agree with this answer:
you should get light blue, light green, and cream/brown layers. the only ones that’ll lay white would be your pure leghorn crosses.
Daughters should lay eggs that are a lighter version of their mothers' egg color (except that the daughters of blue/green layers also have a chance of laying white/cream with no blue tint at all.)

Are any of these crosses going to be sex link?

Leghorn x leghorn
Leghorn x welsumner
If your Leghorn rooster is white, I would expect white chicks from all of those crosses. Some of the chicks may have bits of black or blue on them, or some red/gold leakage as they grow up, but nothing that will let you tell their gender by color.

If your Leghorn rooster is a different color, tell the color or show a picture and we can make better predictions, because some colors of rooster could produce sexlinks with some of those hens.

Leghorn x leghorn
Leghorn x welsumner
LH x Isa Brown = Tinted colored eggs and about 300 eggs per year expected.

LH x Whiting Ture Green = Light Blue/Green eggs and about 260 eggs per year expected.

LH x Whiting True Blue = Light blue eggs and about 260 eggs per year expected.

LH x Barred Rock = light cream colored eggs and about 250 eggs per year expected.

LH x Australorp = light cream colored(often white) eggs and about 250 eggs per year expected

LH x LH = White colored eggs and about 300 eggs per year expected.

LH x RIR = Tinted colored(often eggs and about 250 eggs per year expected.

LH x RIW = Tinted colored(often eggs and about 250 eggs per year expected.

LH x Welsummer = Light Brown colored eggs and about 220 eggs per year.

Back
Top Bottom