Leghorn sex please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 16 paws, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Can anyone tell me what sex this Leghorn is?
    Also if anyone may know why it has swollen legs. I posted it in the disease section but didnt get any answers except maybe kidney failure or Lukemia. The chicken is about 4 or 5 months old. Very healthy but it lays down a lot compared to my other chickens. Everything else looks fine. [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Marie

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A close up of his legs might help us.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And we'll need a profile body shot for sexing.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Looks like a rooster, also leg swelling can be a number of things.
    If your feeding a Layer type feed you might try feeding him a grower type feed.
    Laying type feed is meant for laying hen (hens that are currently laying eggs), The high amount of calcium in layer feed can cause a number of problems in non-laying fowl including gout.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a rooster in this photo, but a side-profile photo would help.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That looks like a cockerel to me, too.

7. 16 paws

Ok, here is a pix of the legs. I shot a profile picture but it wont let me load it. I will try again today. Thanks
    Marie[​IMG]

8. 16 paws

Ok, here are some other shots and thanks for all the replies.[​IMG]
    Ok, I took some shots and I cant get them to upload. Here is the message I keep getting:
    Some images failed to upload:
    • sophia 002.jpg - Error, param staticContentPath is not a directory! [/var/www/html/static.backyardchickens.com/pub//imgrepo]

You can try re-selecting them and uploading again.
    I have been uploading pictures since I have been on this site and never had a problem. Havent changed cameras or settings, now can anyone tell me what is wrong?
    Thanks
    Marie

9. 16 paws

Thanks,
    He has been on chick start and grow since I have had him, I keep chicks and their mamas in the main flock so that is what I use for everyone and then I provide oyster shell for the hens. I thought he looks like a cockerel but he doesnt act at all like one. I have 2 other cockerels in the flock and they dont bother him. He has never tried to crow and I have a silkie older than him that has already started to crow.
    I did notice fine red lines going down the legs, almost look like fine scratches but they are not scratches.
    Thanks for any further help.
    Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by