Leghorn that doesn't seem to be growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by binza1979, Mar 24, 2013.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have a while leghorn (about 4 weeks old) that started acting lethargic a week ago. She was all puffed up, tail was down, and she was sleeping all the time. I pulled her out of the brooder and put her in the "hospital wing" brooder with 2 other chicks with runny noses. I put them all on antibiotics and apple cider vinegar. The two with the runny noses seem to be improving and growing normally. The leghorn is not. She is still about the same size as she was a week ago when I put her in the hospital brooder. Could it be that she is too hot and that is why she isn't growing? She doesn't appear to have gotten any new feathers either.

Please help! I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her getting anyone else sick. I have a russian orloff that is starting to show similar behavior...I am just hoping she was tired when I looked at her last.

Thanks for any ideas/help!

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    A too warm brooder can cause problems. Keep moving you light up an inch or two every hour until the chicks are using the whole brooder.

Make sure the ill chicks are getting water (use a dropped if needed)

And for all the chicks mix some butter milk into the their feed (just enough to dampen it) to improve their immunity. Feed them some (barely cooked) egg yoke for extra protein. In case its contagious a good brooder cleaning might not be a dad ideal either.

3. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I thought being all puffed up meant they are cold, not hot.

4. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    The leghorn and orloff and now sharing a hospital wing. I mixed up a scrambled egg, apple sauce, and medicated chick feed and the ate quite a bit. I also got some chick saver electrolytes and they have been drinking up a storm. The orloff appears to be perking up a bit. The leghorn sits right under the light all puffed up when she is not eating or drinking. I have a 75 watt bulb about 6 inches above them.

Any ideas what could be wrong? This is my 4th set of chicks I have brooded and I have never had a problem. This is the most chicks I have brooded at once...15. I just moved 5 to the "grow out coop." I am nervous for them because it is supposed to get into the high 20's tonight, but they have a heat lamp and when I checked on them they weren't huddled together under the lamp, so I think they will be fine.

So, now I have 3 chicks in one rabbit cage brooder, 3 chicks in the other rabbit cage brooder, 2 in one hospital wing, and 2 in another. They are taking over my house!

5. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Chickens puff up to keep warm and also when they don't feel well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by