Leghorn with a broken egg inside her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantyChooks, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Frozen Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    I have a white leghorn hen that I found in the nesting box just now. She has her butt feathers down and there is egg yolk dripping from her vent. I highly suspect a egg broken inside her.
    Is there any chance she might survive? she is 2--4 years old, and has been a good layer until today.
    If needed I can put her down, but if there is no need to I would rather not. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Maddly

Maddly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    I'm so sorry about your hen! I don't have any experience with this myself, but I've seen other people advise soaking the hen in a warm bath and trying to check to make sure there aren't any pieces of broken egg stuck inside of her. Here are some old threads on similar topics, really hope someone more knowledgable than me chimes in. Good luck!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/623252/my-hen-was-egg-bound-egg-broke-inside-her#post_8305497

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...olapsed-broken-egg-shell-came-out-of-her-vent

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get a rubber glove and feel inside for any remnants of shell or egg membrane. She may do okay, but I had one hen who had a shell less egg break inside and had the membrane sticking out the vent. She later died about a year later from what I assumed to be egg peritonitis. This can be a set up for infection. I used to advise people to give a small amount of vinegar and water as a kind of vent flush, but it probably could cause more infection. You might want to give her a round of antibiotics, something like procaine penicillin G injectable. A local vet could probably prescribe better ones such as amoxicillin or Baytril.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you both. She is doing a little better, she still has her butt feathers down, if you know what I mean. She got out of the nesting box and ran away from me, but is still droopy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  5. Maddly

Jul 12, 2015
    Happy to hear that she seems better, let us know how it goes!

6. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    I can't tell her apart from all the other leghorns now. I have a feeling it was a soft shell egg. She recovered on her own with no assistance from me.
    Thanks, y'all.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  7. ChickenJay203

ChickenJay203 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Glad to hear she is okay now!!! [​IMG]

8. Maddly

Jul 12, 2015
    Yay, wonderful news!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by