1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn with big lump in abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tofupup, Aug 26, 2013.

1. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    About 4 months ago, I adopted a bunch of leghorns who were previously living on a factory egg farm, in wire cages. Because of this, probably, I find a new health problem almost everyday. The latest is a hen who has a giant fluid build-up in her abdomen and is very lethargic, not eating.

I drained about 60 cc of fluid from her abdomen, and once the abdomen was not so tight with fluid, I could feel a fairly large, misshapen lump inside her. It is not round like an egg but lumpy and about 2/3 the size of an egg, and it doesn't appear to be attached to anything. (Like, I can pull it away from the rest of her abdomen.)

I am wondering if this is a misshapen egg that was never expelled or internal laying(?) I don't really know what internal laying is, or how that is different from being egg-bound. But recently, I had a hen die suddenly, and when I cut her distended abdomen open I found a bunch of masses inside her that looked like hard-boiled egg yolks, all in a deformed kind of mass.

If she has some egg stuff caught inside her, is there a way to get it to come out, or is she going to die? The lump does not seem to be very near her vent opening, so I don't feel like soaking her in warm water is really going to help her expel it, although I will try.

I've attached a photo of where the lump is, although you can't see it; you can only feel it inside her when you palpate the abdomen. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Well, in case anyone is wondering, I took her to the vet and she told me that the hen is egg-bound/has an impacted oviduct and that she needs surgery.

I've tried all the at-home remedies and she is now on antibiotics in the hopes that the swelling of the oviduct will go down enough for her to pass the egg (unlikely, but possible). If this doesn't work, things are looking grim for poor, sweet Feathers. I started a fundraiser for her in hopes that a miracle will happen.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/lhz2/feathers-surgery-fund

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by