Leghorn with crooked toe

Game Bird Guy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Victoria
Hi
I have a light brown leghorn cockerel with a crooked toe. Will that take away alot of points in show? Also, if I bred him, what are the chances his offspring would have bad toes aswell? The hens I will breed him too are unrelated to him. What could have caused his bad toe? I also have a welsummer rooster who appears really round and scrunched up. What might be the reason for that? Thanks
Kramer

Crooked toes are sometimes the result of injury, or improper temperatures during incubation.

I have a hen whose toe was broken and didn't heal properly and therefore is bending at an almosy 90 degree angle to the middle toe. I don't think crooked toes are genetic...

Quote:
I think they can be.
Quote:
I agree with Laree.
Depends what kind of show? In an APA show you would loose per toe, .5 to 2 points.

Quote:
I think they can be.
Quote:
I agree with Laree.
Depends what kind of show? In an APA show you would loose per toe, .5 to 2 points.

It's just a small local show. He only has 1 crooked toe. His dad has been grand champion before. I want to produce a son from him that would actually be good for show. Thanks everyone!

It shouldn't hurt ya to much at a local show. I have a big ol LF white leghorn with a broken middle toe. When he was younger a kid dropped him at school.

He's been just fine and has taken Champ Cockerel and then Champ Cock 3 yrs in a row now at the fair.

Back
Top Bottom