Leghorn wouldn't come out of the coop this morning. Feels very underweight

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a 18 week old, pearl white leghorn. Not laying yet. She feels very very thin compared to the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She wouldn't come out of the coop this morning, very lethargic. Crop is empty. Very thin. She allowed me to pick her up and normally is very skittish

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She was fine yesterday. So I guess overnight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, everyone else is acting normal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We just finished a 7 day course of Corid for coccidiosis. Maybe she just isn't as strong as the others?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She hasn't eaten or drank this morning.
They are on all flock feed, they get some sxratch and cracked corn mixed in.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is runny and white. Attached pictures.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I gave her nutridrench by mouth and electrolytes in her water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I don't have an avian vet near me so I would prefer to treat myself if at all possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Will do!
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They have a mobile coop with a hardware cloth floor. They free range during the day. The coop was just cleaned yesterday. (Pressure washed)

I felt her crop and it is empty. Her keel bone is very prominent. I compared her to my other leghorns and she feels severely under weight. Her face is very pale, and she's all puffed up. I checked for mites and didnt find any. Her vent looks normal. No discharge from her nose or mouth. No physical injuries.

Normally we can't even get close to the leghorns but she let me just pick her up. Please help!!

Attachments

• 20210801_063827.jpg
    20210801_063827.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210801_064014.jpg
    20210801_064014.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210801_064231.jpg
    20210801_064231.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210801_064747.jpg
    20210801_064747.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210801_064754.jpg
    20210801_064754.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 10
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a 18 week old, pearl white leghorn. Not laying yet. She feels very very thin compared to the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She wouldn't come out of the coop this morning, very lethargic. Crop is empty. Very thin. She allowed me to pick her up and normally is very skittish

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She was fine yesterday. So I guess overnight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, everyone else is acting normal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We just finished a 7 day course of Corid for coccidiosis. Maybe she just isn't as strong as the others?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She hasn't eaten or drank this morning.
They are on all flock feed, they get some sxratch and cracked corn mixed in.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is runny and white. Attached pictures.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I gave her nutridrench by mouth and electrolytes in her water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I don't have an avian vet near me so I would prefer to treat myself if at all possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Will do!
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They have a mobile coop with a hardware cloth floor. They free range during the day. The coop was just cleaned yesterday. (Pressure washed)

I felt her crop and it is empty. Her keel bone is very prominent. I compared her to my other leghorns and she feels severely under weight. Her face is very pale, and she's all puffed up. I checked for mites and didnt find any. Her vent looks normal. No discharge from her nose or mouth. No physical injuries.

Normally we can't even get close to the leghorns but she let me just pick her up. Please help!!
Could it be blackhead? I had a peacock which got blackhead had similar symptoms lethargy white and yellow poop and no eating/drinking. If it is blackhead u need to figure a correct dose of flagyl.

Had you seen any bloody droppings from her or the others before you treated with Corid? What dosage have you been using in the water? Had you given any undiluted or concentrated Corid? Some strains of coccidia cannbe resistant to Corid, and then sulfa antibiotics (Albon, sulfadimethoxine, bactrim) or toltarazuril are used. At her age coccidiosis is not that common since most build up resistance to it in the soil and droppings. Other possibilities could Mareks which can affect immunity, kidney disease, or a reproductive disease, including cancer. You could give some undiluted Corid orally twice a day at a dose of 0.1 ml per pound or try to get a sulfa drug from your vet. She looks very weak as though she might not make it.

Had you seen any bloody droppings from her or the others before you treated with Corid. What dosage have you been using in the water? Had you given any undiluted or concentrated Corid? Some strains of coccidia cannbe resistant to Corid, and then sulfa antibiotics (Albon, sulfadimethoxine, bactrim) or toltarazuril are used. At her age coccidiosis is not that common since most build up resistance to it in the soil and droppings. Other possibilities could Mareks which can affect immunity, kidney disease, or a reproductive disease, including cancer.
Yes, we had some very bloody droppings before we started Corid. We had 1 fatality with no external injuries so that made me start looking for bloody poops. We treated our main flock, bantams, and news chicks that are out on grass. It's been very wet and hot here and someone on BYC suggested that could be the cause of the coccidiosis.

I did 2 tsp per gallon of liquid Corid for 7 days. (Today is the 7th day) She was vaccinated for Mareks as a chick, does that make her less likely to get it but still possible? Like a flu shot does for humans?

It is good that she had the Mareks vaccine, so I would think she might be safe. I would try to get a sulfa antibiotic for her. You can get sulfadimethoxine online for pigeons, but it may be too late. Call your regular vet in the am for a favor. In the meantime, give some undiluted Corid. Try to give fluids as well. I hope that you can save her. A necropsy by your state vet, if you should lose her, is a good way to confirm that it was coccidiosis.

Coccidiosis can really cause a lot of damage to the intestines. Unfortunately, she may have one of the resistant strains or just had a severe case. Or she could have an underlying issue in addition to the coccidiosis. I hope that you don’t lose her.

Coccidiosis can really cause a lot of damage to the intestines. Unfortunately, she may have one of the resistant strains or just had a severe case. Or she could have an underlying issue in addition to the coccidiosis. I hope that you don’t lose her.
She has perked up some, she is standing now. I'll keep treating her and hope for the best. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom