Leghorn X Barred Rock

HEChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 12, 2009
BuCo, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I'm hopeless when it comes to genetics so I'm going to ask those in the know. Would a Brown Leghorn rooster over a Barred Rock hen produce sex linked chicks? If not, does anyone have any idea what they would look like? Also, I think Brown Leghorns lay white eggs, but BR's lay brown so what color would this "mutt" lay?

Next time you have questions regarding something like that do a search. It create less unnecessary topics!
wink.png

With that said, check this thread out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Well, its actually because reading through that kind of information is like trying to read greek to me - makes no sense. That's why I had to ask the question in plain english. Does anyone know the answer?

Sorry if i sounded rude.

Yes, they will sexlink, they will be feather sexable. All the information you need is on there, no better way to explain it.

Quote:
Yep, it did read as a bit rude but I know what you meant and surely you didnt mean for it to sound that way.

Tims thread can be quite abit to digest for those who arent familiar with the concept but it is probably the best source of sexlink information avaiable. Here in the Sexlink thread though I have a bit more of an " in a nut shell" explaination that should be easy to understand. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375015

So
yes, a Brown Leghorn rooster on Barred Rock hens will make Black Sexlinks with Black females and Barred males. Any non barred/ non dom white roo can be used on barred hens to make black sexlinks. They should lay a light cream colored egg and be pretty decent layers I would imagine.

What Clint said
smile.png

I was going to use this mix for my replacement layers but decided to go with a heavier breed than leghorns, so the cockerals would reach eating weight sooner. I'd imagine this cross would make fantastic layers!

Quote:
I put a table in the article for individuals that read the material as Greek. Take a look at the black sex linked table- you will find the cross in the table.

Tim

I have a quick question regarding this cross... Does anyone have a picture of this cross? I've seen black sex link roos and hens from Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock, but have yet to find pictures of Brown Leghorn x Barred Rock. I've got an incubator full right now and would love to have an idea of what they're going to look like.

They will look just like black sex links with a thinner body and larger comb if your rooster was BL and hen BR. Other way would produce all sloppy barred chicks.

I have a quick question regarding this cross... Does anyone have a picture of this cross? I've seen black sex link roos and hens from Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock, but have yet to find pictures of Brown Leghorn x Barred Rock. I've got an incubator full right now and would love to have an idea of what they're going to look like.
welcome-byc.gif

I never did that exact cross, but I did a similar colored rooster (Welsummer) over barred rock hens. They look like typical black sex links.

Thing is, the black on the barred Rock momma pretty much covers any other color. Doesn't matter much what the rooster is, the babies are going to be basically black with either red or silver leakage, depending on the rooster's coloring. Your brown Leghorn male will give red/gold leakage.

Using a buff rooster will give chicks who are kind of bi-colored, that's the best color to hold it's own against black. Pretty much everything else gets overtaken.

Back
Top Bottom