1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn X Black Tailed Japanese Bantam??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChaddiX, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ChaddiX

ChaddiX Out Of The Brooder

Hello Everyone! I was hoping you would help me identify the mix for one of my girls. I was told she's a Black Tailed Japanese Bantam X Leghorn.
    BUT I don't understand where her blue ears and blue legs come from?[​IMG]
    -She lays a small med/light brown egg everyday
    -She makes this sound like a low, warbled, honking noise - almost like a squeaky toy when you squeeze it very slowly and barely blows air
    Thank you all in advance for your input. Here's "La Japonessa"... (all my bought chickens have Spanish names [​IMG])
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Whatever type of chicken it is, its VERY pretty [​IMG]

3. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    She is definitely part Japanese, We have two little Japanese bantams and your has a tail that looks reminiscentÂ…not sure what she's crossed with. Sorry! She is pretty though![​IMG]

4. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    maby crossed with some sort of EE or Amerucana??

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Must have some SIlkie in her

6. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Maybe one of the parents isn't a full leghorn or full black-tailed japanese bantam. I want her!! She's the most beautiful hen I've ever seen!! [​IMG]

7. ChaddiX

Thanks everyone for your input! She's even prettier in real life, when she's not eating (beak full of crumbles & oatmeal:lol:). She's the lowest one on the pecking order and tinier than my Sizzles, so she gets mounted a lot by my SL Bearded Polish Roo - gonna incubate those eggs when I get back to my flock! She is the sweetest thing ever and never bothers anyone. Just honking like a goose, laying an egg everyday.

I understood that blue and green eggs from EEs is a dominant trait - La Japonesa's eggs are brown.
    I thought maybe Silkie because of the blue ears and legs, but even F1 (x Silkies) have some feathering on their legs, no?

The world may never know...[​IMG]

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:The Silkie may have been a hatchery bird...you never know when you get a hatchery bird. The Silkie may have had poor or no leg feathering.

9. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Probably a long shot, but it looks a lot like my splash rosecomb rooster/leghorn female crosses. They are mostly white, with blue legs and bluish faces,some more than others.

10. ChaddiX

Nice! Thanks for the insight guys! I only have two roosters, SL Bearded Polish and White Silkie. I wonder... if I hatch her eggs from either one of those roos, will the daughter hens still have her laying abilities? I guess it'll be time for me to post another thread on this subject: How many generations down the line will a certain trait stick or disappear? i.e. Egg laying crossing to a Rooster Silkie or a Polish Roo.

I know if I cross her with my Silkie, the F1 will have regular feathering, unless she herself is an F1 Silkie cross... only one way to find out. ENTER INCUBATOR! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by