Leghorn x golden comet crosses

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jay262, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Bit of a newb question sorry but im wondering if these are any way sex linked these are my hatch from earlier today. I have 5 white or look to be white maybe yellow. I have no idea how one came to be black. The rooster was a white purebreed leghorn and the females were all golden comets.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Well that black one is confusing [​IMG]

Hope you find out

BUMP.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sex-links are a one time cross, so you can't sex those by color, sorry. But I'll bet any hens will lay like crazy with that cross!

4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Quote:x2

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Well im hoping for atleast one hen this time on 2 seperate occasions before this i got 2 chicks at a time and both were roosters. All these birds have small bumps on the ankles resembling spurs is this common in all chicks could they still be hens or am i looking at 6 more roosters.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All have those bumps, and some hens have been known to grow some wicked spur. That's not a reliable indicator. Usually first is comb, larger and more color, legs are thicker, more upright stance. Many here say cockerals feather out slower than pullets, I've not experienced that personally but you could test the theory. You'll have to wait a few weeks, then post pics again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by