Leghorn

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lanissa86, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Can someone please post a pic of a juvenile leghorn, or white rock. I am trying to see if my chick is one of the two and I noticed that the leghorn females have combs as well, if my chick is 3 weeks and a roo, should his comb be red yet or no? So far its not.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Leghorn chicks will be tiny vs other types of chicks and be a bit more flighty. As adults the girls have big floppy combs, under 4 months or so there will be little if any comb. By about 4 weeks, your leghorn roo will have a reddish swolen growing comb if it is a he, if he's a rock, then 6 weeks should tell. Else you have a girl.

3. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    [​IMG]
    The white ones are Leghorns.

Trisha in MO

4. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Yup, that looks like ours! Thanks for the pic, your chicks are cute by the way! [​IMG] Do you know if yours are pullets are roos? The look exactly like mine only, mine had a big comb at only 3 weeks, but it hasn't changed any color or shade of pink or red? But I guess I have to wait a few more weeks. He sure is a bossy thing, so I am really leaning towards Roo for mine...

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have two. One I was convinced was a roo.....much larger comb, totally different personality, acted and looked like one. Then she started laying eggs.

6. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So there IS still HOPE! YAY! Thanks for the responses, I looked up some leghorns and heard how the roosters crow, and MY Goodness they are SUPER loud!!! Hopefully our Boss is a Girl then!!!! [​IMG] I'll just keep crossing my fingers!

7. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    Quote:Pullets. Those are last years' chicks.

Trisha in MO [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by