Leghorns 16 weeks old + Pic added!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Obyli, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    I have 1 leghorn hen and 1 leghorn rooster. I bought them from Meyerhatchery when they were a day old. I am wishing for their eggs maybe the first day they arrived. I also ordered some silkies which i don't know if they are female or male( so complicated). My leghorn rooster crows every morning even at 3am. My leghorn hen has no sign of egg laying yet. When i pick them up, it feels like the hen is less than 2 pounds and the rooster is around 2 pounds. I got them from Meyer Hatchery and they said that hen will be 4/ 1/2 and roo will be 5pounds or so. Is this normal? I just wonder when will she lay her first egg. Theres no sign of the rooster mating with the hen either. What should i do? Should i be worried? Also please tell me how to tell the difference between male and female silkies and when will they lay also.

[​IMG]
    this is my rooster
    [​IMG]
    this one is my hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Four of my silkies(So hard to sex)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    This year is my first experience with chickens so I can only go from my experience:) I have 10 white leghorns and it seemed that my eggs started coming shortly after their combs got big and bright red. My first egg came at 16 1/2 weeks.

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG]
    The average egg laying eggs for leghorns is 18 weeks, give or take. Your pullet's comb should become larger and redder when she is at the point of lay (POL). Leghorns are very small, slender birds when compared with other large fowl or dual purpose ones. She should weigh more than 2 lbs. though. Maybe put them on a scale to make sure! Good luck and keep us posted! [​IMG]

4. City Cajun

City Cajun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    I had a Leghorn that turned out to be a rooster and started crowing about two weeks ago. Sorry to say I had to relocate him(doesn't go well in the city). I thought he could be tolerated but, he got progressively louder each day and crowed all times of the day. I gave him to a friend who has other chickens and roosters as well as ducks, swans, peacocks and who knows what else. Lol.... Anyway, Foghorn was a big bird! He was just over 4 mos. old and probably close to 5 lbs and close to 18 inches tall.

Here's a picture of him before leaving. I think he was P O'd.

[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They will lay when they grow up. Sounds as if they are about half way there by your description.

Citycajun, that is a white rock not a leghorn. Red earlobes make that breed differentiation. Leghorns have white earlobes.

6. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Is there any chance that they are bantams? I heard that they lay 1 egg a day and pretty big also. How come they are so small and lay a large egg?

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my leghorns came from meyer also. mine started laying at 18 weeks and havent missed a day.

8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    my leghorns 2 of them one pearl and one light brown and no eggs yet they are 22 weeks and 21 weeks,,so you are still early.. I think.

9. City Cajun

City Cajun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Quote:No offense but, are you sure about that? This was one big ass rock if so.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not sure that it is a rock, but sure that t is not a leghorn. All leghorns have white earlobes. Rocks are far larger than leghorns which have a trimmer conformation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by