Leghorns in winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bobby_A, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Bobby_A

Bobby_A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hello everyone, I just have a quick question. I currently have three leghorns in a small coop with no heating. The temperatures here in the winter are usually around the 30 to 40 range, with a rare occurrence or two of it going in the 20's. So, my question is should I be supplying heat or will they be fine? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I don't supply any to mine and never have. They're still my most reliable layers. If going into the twenties is rare Vegas then we here in Florida are having more winter than you folks are getting this year.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If your coop is dry , well ventilated but not drafty their combs should be fine under the temperatures you have indicated. Leghorns can take the cold but under damp, drafty excessively low temperatures their combs can become frost bitten.

4. Bobby_A

Bobby_A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Okay, then they should be fine. Thank you both very much for your answers.

5. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have one leghorn, and I noticed she was shivering today at about 20 F when I let her out to free range. It was -4 last night and she did fine without lamps under my uninsulated truck topper coop. She has a very meaty comb compared to my other hens so I was a little worried about her loosing heat. It rarely gets that cold around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by