Leghorns??? Tan eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lucysmom002, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I'll take some pictures for you tomorrow. I have two chickens that are supposed to be Buff Leghorns. They look like leghorns. They have yellow ears. One of them started laying smaller/medium sized tanish eggs. Aren't Leghorns supposed to lay white eggs?

I really don't care, they are pets and the eggs are bonus but I'm just curious.

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well I looked around on the net real briefly and got mixed results. One website said they laid white eggs another said their eggs can come with a tint due to the distant cochin cross. They certainly sound like buff leghorns. I'll wait for the pictures before I make any final guesses.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Pure bred leghorns lay white eggs.

4. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I found that same info on the net. One site said they can have the "tint". This egg was a tan egg. I'll take pics today. When I bought them, I saw the kid's other Leghorns. They were white but positively Leghorns. These chickens look like Leghorns other than, they do not carry their tail like a leghorn.
    I'll get pics very shortly.

5. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Not the greatest pics, my camera kept dying. This is ONE of my Leghorns.

[​IMG]

same bird, the ears are yellow

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Are you sure it's hers? She seems close to laying age but not quite, her comb should be a bit larger before she starts laying.

7. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    No the egg was not hers. The hen that laid the egg has a much larger comb and it's very red. The hen pictured is a hen I got with her at the same time though. Her comb is much smaller and not red and she's not laying.
    Otherwise they look identical. Is she a Buff Leghorn?

My camera is not working properly. It kept shutting off. Not sure if it was battery or camera issues. I took these pics with our old camera. The chickens wouldn't stand still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by