LegHorns with black spots here and there?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChicksinBoise, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    Just wondering if this signifies anything. We have two like this that we recently bought as leghorns. They are both laying white eggs.

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Where did you get them from? Are they white with black dots?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think there is a variety of Leghorn someone breeds called Exchequer? Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but they have black specks on them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Ideal sells something they call an Ideal 236 (I think that's the number). On their website they show 'em with a black spot on each shoulder.

5. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    California Whites have black spots on them, but they might be larger size chicken than a leghorn

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I had leghorns and cali whites... they look almost the same... just the cali whites had a few feathers with black spots on them!

7. ChicksinBoise

Jun 14, 2007
    The lady we got them from said they came for Dunlap Hatchery here in Idaho. There aren't very many spots, and they aren't very noticable unless you are close. I thought they were dirt spots when we got them but they never went away![​IMG]

They are great layers though. We got an EE with them and their eggs are about 25% bigger than the EE'er. Although, the EE'er is a very consistent layer so far. She lays pastel green eggs. [​IMG]

We get our 25 meat chickens next week, how exciting...I have definitely been nabbed by the chicken mania!! [​IMG]

8. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I have CA Whites and mine have black spots too...here's a pic...

[​IMG]

9. ChicksinBoise

Jun 14, 2007
    Quote:Yep that's them! Except the ones I have, have the typically large LH comb. Are yours pullets still?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  10. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I have 6 Ideal 236's and not one of them has black dots. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by