1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorns??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mightymidnight1, Mar 26, 2016.

1. mightymidnight1

mightymidnight1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    Hello, I am new here and have a few questions. I have never had leghorns but my family recently reconsidered having chicks, in fact we are picking them up on April 5, but we are struggling on weather we would like leghorns. We are getting 6 chicks and I know we are certain that were getting 2 astrolorps and 2 Rhode island reds but uncertain about leghorns. we have seen good and bad stuff online. So if anyone has any incite (whether it be good or bad) plz let me know.

Thanks!!![​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    RIR can be aggressive. White leghorns tend to be flighty. If you also want them as pets Black Australorps or Buff orpingtons would be better. Australorps are very good layers, buff orps are not as prolific but both are generally docile breeds.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome! Leghorns are prolific layers of white eggs. They are a Mediterranean breed and as such are heat tolerant but not so tolerant of the cold as many of other breeds. I don't see where you are from, but if you have cold winters you might want to rethink this breed or at least be prepared to put Vaseline on their combs so they don't get frostbite.
    Also leghorns aren't as calm as some of the other breeds, especially dual purpose birds, and they don't always get along with the quieter breeds.
    You also didn't state whether your primary purpose is eggs, pets, or dual purpose birds and that would bake a difference also.
    I have some California Greys which lay lots of large white eggs. They're even considered a production bird but they aren't as flighty as the leghorns. Unfortunately they're also harder to find, but I like them a lot better and well worth getting if you can find them.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It looks like you've been given some helpful information so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC

Best wishes
    CT

7. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    thanks for the info I am not looking for a pet. im from Illinois. but where I live are winters ant to bad so that wouldn't be a problem. if any one knows of a good laying breed plz let me know.

THANKS! !!!

8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    There are tons of excellent laying hens. It's just a case of what grabs your fancy. You can go to www.mypetchicken.com and answer a short questionnaire and based on your answers they will select some breeds that should suit you. After that it's a case of try some and see what you like.
    My family has gotten breeds we had high hopes for and would never get another one. Consequently other breeds, perhaps we got just a few because of egg color or whatever turned out to be great and we want more of them. So many choices. You're sure to like something.

9. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    Ok thanks

10. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    thank you I just toke it it was very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by