Leghorns

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    If you have leghorn please post pictures of them with some info about them. Post pictures of any age or colour, even eggs. If you have a chickens that is a mixed leghorn you can post a photo of that too. Thank you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is one of my original leghorns I got her two years ago. She is the only orginal leghorn left. She is now 3 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This is my older leghorn pullet, Pearl Girl. She'll be a year old in March. She started laying at 16w3d, laid 17 days in a row, then quit. A few weeks later, we realized she had an impacted crop, so we did surgery to fix it up. She laid there on the table eating the chicken feed we pulled out of her crop along with the weed fibers. Three days later, she picked up the laying again and has been consistent ever since. She's especially friendly now after her week recuperating in the house. Her crop never has shrunk back down to normal size, and it gets kind of pendulous when she's eaten all day long, swinging back and forth while she walks. It doesn't seem to bother her, though. She's 8 months old in this picture.
    [​IMG]

We have 4 other, younger leghorns. They hatched in July, and are all laying beautiful big eggs. They're pretty friendly, too. I see so many people talk about their flightly, unfriendly leghorns, and I just can't believe it. Mine are sweethearts. They are pearl whites from McMurray, and I've recently heard that this strain is often more friendly than others. This pullet was 4 months old in this picture.
    [​IMG]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i wanna see more pictures lol

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Egg on the left is the jumbo white egg that our tiny leghorn "Cotton Tail" leaves us almost every day. I always seems to have a 'rough' surface, I'm thinking it's because it is so large and she is so tiny.

[​IMG]

Here is "Cotton Tail"

[​IMG]

Here is my current batch in the bator. Out of the 41 eggs, 15 of them are shipped leghorns and they are all the largest eggs in the bator. They are the two rows on the right and the one on the upper left. I got them from bargain. BTW I'm keep humidity between 40 and 45% now until day 18... in case anyone is wondering.

[​IMG]

Here is "Mopsy" she is what I'm thinking is a cross between a California White and a Porcelain D'uccle. She lays a beautiful round Navajo white colored egg every other day. She would have feathers on her feet but the other girls peck them off.

[​IMG]

I also have a brown leghorn that lays a nice, large smooth white egg almost everyday. Her name is "Flopsy" because her comb flops way over!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here in my white leghorn girl Krispy. She is a wonderfull layer of almost perfect round white eggs. People say they are flighty but not mine. Never once have they gotten into the nieghbors yard and the just have a chainlink fence. She is interested in just about anything that comes into the yard.
    [​IMG]

Second is my white leghorn roo Kernal. He is well known on here. He is a wonderfull roo and is nicer than Krispy. He babysits the young chicks now. He doesn't show any agression towards me. He loves to be held and petted. Right now he's sitting on my lap as I type this making his purring noise. He is my favorite chicken I have and always will be.
    [​IMG]

These are the little ones we have right now. These are Kernals 2 sons and 1 daughter. They hatched out on New Years day.
    [​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My almost 4 week old Golden Comet Roo (white leghorn hen crossed with RIR roo):

[​IMG]

I have pure leghorns in the incubator right now due on valentines day [​IMG]

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    I just got two free Leghorns 3 days ago. They both were supposed to be Roosters. Well, we found an egg in their pen and realized the one with the bald back was a hen. Here she is, she doesnt have a name yet.... any ideas? I had to seperate the two cause the Roo is very aggressive, and i believe he's the cause of her torn up back. Here are the pictures of my two newest members. I am unsure of eithers age. The hen may be a pullet. I'm only guessing.
    Shes in a temporary great dane kennel until my other hen house is finished tomorrow.

Hen
    [​IMG]

Meanie Roonie

[​IMG]

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    2-day old straight comb light brown leghorn pullet, Hermione:
    [​IMG]

13 days old, same chick:
    [​IMG]

4wks old, same girl:
    [​IMG]

About 2 months old:
    [​IMG]

And two weeks ago, almost 7 months old. Not good quality pic, but you can see her:
    [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Here is Willow. She is a Light Brown Leghorn. Sweetest little thing you will ever meet and her floppy little granny bonnet just kills me. She "goes broody" every single day for an hour or so....refuses to let anyone have the eggs and takes every one laid. She sits and worries then gets up, proclaims them all "duds" and walks away mad. LOL

[​IMG]

These little beauties are Fluff and Puff. Fluff ended up being an internal layer and passed away. [​IMG] Both precious, sweet natured, wonderful layers (ETA I guess that sounds strange. Fluff WAS a great layer until she stopped and got sick). I LOVE leghorns!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    Great Birds everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by