Leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by babyrnlc, Oct 10, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We have a VERY mixed flock. We added a few leghorns a couple of months ago. We got two whites and one brown (she was supposed to be a welsummer).

The brown is flighty and scared of everything

The whites are spazzy. They are like two hyper little 2 yr olds. The run here then run there fly all over. Jump up on the chair for a quick cuddle then off again!

Is this normal. I love them. They are adorable I just get exhausted watching them though lol

2. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    I'm no expert but I have read they can be flighty. That being said, we have 2 white ones that are very calm and love to be held. They follow us around the yard like little dogs. They're 6 months old now and we've had them since they were a day old.

3. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    I love em..... yep they are flighty, but thats just nature...... but all depends on how they are managed.

[​IMG]

4. CLawhon

CLawhon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Naples, Florida
    I have 2 hens and one is more flighty than the other and Ive had them since they were a few days old. They are actually my first of 8 hens to lay eggs, we were so excited to finally be getting eggs! Now we are waiting for the other girls to start laying!

this is one of my hens, she doesnt like to be held much
    [​IMG]

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I had leghorns and they were flighty when they were young but mellowed out when they were older.

Tim

6. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Its just so funny, they do not walk anywhere. They will be sitting there scratching and then decide to be half way across the yard and take off running/flying, then sit and scratch. It is so funny to watch

7. Rachelssmiles

Rachelssmiles Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Good ol Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    This is our Leghorn, Felix. Surprisingly he is our most mellow chicken out of all of them. But the gals are definately spazzy. Felix likes to come up to me because he thinks I always carry bread in my pocket or something, lol, but he isn't aggressive either. Okay, I admit, he is one of my favs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by