LEGHORNS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tippyshorses, Feb 7, 2013.

1. tippyshorses

tippyshorses New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Hi, I am new to the forum, and I am also new to raising chickens. My dad has always had chickens and I would love to try my hand at it. I am looking for any kind of Leghorn chickens anywhere from 4 weeks old and up. I would also be interested in some ISA BROWNS. I am located in central kentucky, if anyone has any for sale or knows of anyone who has any for sale anywhere in this direction I would appreciate the info. I would be willing to travel a ways also to get them. Thank you

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Might want to check out your area and make sure there is a market for white farm eggs. In my area they are determined to be inferior eggs, not that they are, but because they look like store bought, people think they are.
    Leghorns lay white eggs.
    Whatever you decide,
    Welcome!

3. tippyshorses

tippyshorses New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    thank you, but actually the leghorns would be for me, because I prefer the white eggs, and the ISA BROWNS are for my two youngest boys, they love to eat the brown eggs. It is just so hard to find any leghorns where I am from, I guess because most people do prefer the brown eggs. I was hoping maybe someone out there would have some for sale, but I may end up having to order some. thank you for your help.

4. gmabry75

gmabry75 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brandon, MS
    I would ask in the Kentucky thread. Probably get help from some local people on here. What breed you want is your decision, but is there any difference in white and brown eggs other than the color of the shell. I'm new to chickens myself. Welcome to BYC.

5. tippyshorses

tippyshorses New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    HI, ACTUALLY THERE IS A DIFFERANCE IN THE TASTE . THE DARKER THE EGG IS, THE RICHER THE FLAVOR OF THE YOLK. OR SO IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE . MY HUSBAND THINKS THE SAME THING. HE WONT EAT A BROWN EGG. YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERANCE JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM. THE YOLK OF A LEGHORNS EGG, LOOKS JUST LIKE A STORE BOUGHT EGG IN COLOR AND IN FLAVOR ALSO. AND THANKS FOR THE WELCOME . I THINK I AM REALLY GOING TO ENJOY THIS FORUM. I AM JUST A BEGINNER, I HAVE WANTED TO DO THIS FOR A WHILE , BUT AM JUST NOW BEING ABLE TO. I AM LOOKING INTO PUTTING UP A NICE CHICKEN FENCE, BUT IM NOT SURE HOW BIG TO BUILD IT OR HOW HIGH. MY CHICKENS ARE IN A SMALL BARN RIGHT NOW AND THEY HAVE ROOM, BUT I KNOW THEY NEED TO BE LOOSE OUTSIDE ALSO. OUR NEIGHBORS HAVE SOME IRISH SETTERS AND I AM AFRAID THEY WILL KILL THEM.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW BIG AND HOW HIGH I NEED THE FENCE. RIGHT NOW I JUST HAVE 6 CHICKENS, BUT I WANT TO GET ABOUT 18 MORE. AND AM ALSO LOOKING THIS WEEK AT TWO PAIR OF PEACOCKS THAT I AM THINKING ABOUT BUYING,

6. loanwizard

I am going to strongly disagree here, not intending to offend, but going with my experience and research.

I strongly recommend doing a google search on the subject.

There is no difference in the flavor between a white egg and a brown egg if raised in an identical manner.

There is DEFINITELY a difference between the normal white egg bought in a store, vs a farm raised egg.

http://www.ohioporkandpoultry.com/pastured-eggs.html

[​IMG]

The difference is NOT the color of the egg, but the nutrient intake of the bird.

There are basically 3 different ways chickens are raised.
    1. Factory style egg/meat production
    [​IMG]

These birds never see the light of day and are fed nothing but a measured amount of grain. They drop their eggs on a conveyor belt and are collected and sent to the grocery store.

2. Chickens on a farm in a run-
    [​IMG]

Notice the lack of vegetation in the run. Chickens raised this way is very common. They get the sunshine, feed, the initial vegetation and anything the farmer imports. Their eggs are indeed richer than what a factory farm can produce. BUT, they don't get the extra protein and other vitamins supplied by bugs, grass, dirt, etc... Once they have depleted their run area....

3. Free Ranged-
    [​IMG]

Free ranged bird wander wherever they wish. They eat greens, nutrients from the dirt and bugs. They get exercise and sunshine. These are the most nutritious eggs you can get.

I ate store bought for 40 years. When I first ate a farm egg it actually tasted different and is an acquired taste. Now, I wouldn't eat anything else, plus I benefit from greater nutrition.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2103/whats-the-difference-between-white-eggs-and-brown-eggs

7. tippyshorses

tippyshorses New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    I GUESS WE SHOULD AGREE TO DISAGREE THEN, BECAUSE I HAVE EAT BOTH STORE BOUGHT EGGS AND FARM RAISED EGGS ALL MY LIFE AND I CAN TELL THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE WHITE EGGS AND THE BROWN. MY DAD HAS ALWAYS RAISED CHICKENS, HE HAS RAISED THE WHITE EGG LAYERS AND THE BROWN EGG LAYERS AT THE SAME TIME, EATING THE SAME FEED OR WEED AS IT MAY BE AND THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A DIFFERANCE NOT ONLY IN THE COLOR BUT ALSO IN THE TASTE.(MY TASTE BUDS DONT LIE TO ME) SO I GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT TASTE YOU PREFER. AND I HAVE ALSO PASSED THE WHITE EGGS OFF TO MY HUSBAND AS STORE BOUGHT EGGS, MANY TIMES AND HE DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERANCE, AND BELIEVE ME HE WAS WATCHING BECAUSE HE KNEW I HAD BROUGHT SOME EGGS HOME FROM MY DADS. AND HE ABSOLUTELY REFUSES TO EAT A FARM FRESH EGG. SO I STILL DEFINATELY PREFER THE WHITE EGG LAYER OVER THE BROWN EGG LAYER. BUT, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF OPINION, AND PREFERANCE FROM PERSON TO PERSON. I MAY ACTUALLY DO A BLIND TASTE TEST WITH A STORE BOUGHT,A WHITE FARM FRESH AND A BROWN AND SEE IF THERE IS ACTUALLY A DIFFERANCE, OR IF IT IS AN OPINION THAT I HAVE FORMED IN MY HEAD FROM MY CHILDHOOD. BUT THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ANYWAYS. IT IS ACTUALLY VERY INTERESTING.

8. loanwizard

BTW, Welcome to the BYC!

9. tippyshorses

tippyshorses New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME, I THINK I WILL ENJOY THIS FORUM. BY THE WAY DO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RAISING PEACOCKS? I HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET A PAIR, BUT, I'M NOT SURE WHAT I AM GETTING INTO. I THINK THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVE TO HERE THEM CALL OUT BUT I DONT WANT TO GET INTO A MESS.ALSO, MY NEIGHBORS HAVE A COUPLE OF IRISH SETTERS AND I DONT TRUST THEM. I'M NOT SURE IF THE PEACOCKS ARE ABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES IF THEY WERE TO ESCAPE THE WIRE.

10. loanwizard

Dogs are always a dicey issue even if they are yours. I can keep chickens but turkey, geese and ducks have not fared well at my farm. Peacocks are indeed beautiful, but at the cost, I couldn't risk it at my place.
    One thing about setters is that they are "supposed" to have soft mouths..... Who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by