1. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Are leghorns nice? I know they are very good layers and that anything can be nice or mean but are they good with people?

2. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    I mean are they OFTEN good with people?

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Mine are the friendliest of all my girls. They were flighty prior to laying, but now they love being held, even my 2 year old picks them. They are super smart too.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I found leghorns were extremely flighty as compared to Golden Comets (my favourite layer). I imagine it depends on how much time you spend with the birds and the dynamics if each flock I also prefer brown eggs..

5. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    I would spend HOURS every day with them! We are getting all our chickens as day olds or at least less than a week.

1 person likes this.
  6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Our white leghorn is a beautiful chicken. Her personally is so so. She's afraid of everything but is the head chicken and is very good at alerting of any danger(we don't have a rooster). We're glad we have her but are not sure we would get another one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  7. dolmen

dolmen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    I waited along time to find these Exchequer Leghorns, they were a bit different from the plain whites, blacks etc. I've found that they are getting more friendly with plenty of human interaction, the hens are very quick to learn that you are not going to harm them and become quite tame.
    Here is a link to a short video

8. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks Guys! I will problobly get 1 hen to go with my mixed flock that I will get soon. After all we do have a LOT of predators.

9. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Funny how experiences differ. We have one leghorn and while I wouldn't call her friendly only because we don't cuddle them (we've never tried! :) ), she is our most adventurous and athletic chicken.

[​IMG]

Our other hens are such round little butterballs, she looks like a sports car by comparison. A lean, mean, egg-layin' machine. :)

If something new appears on the place, new stack of hay or we rearrange something in the barn, she's the first to fly up there and check it out. She was the first to show the others where the nest boxes were, and how to get up on the high perches.

Course, that personality means sometimes she get on top of the coop instead of in it at night, and we have to shoo her down with a broom and make her go to bed. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  10. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks for sharing your experience! That is really cool and funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by