Legs not working

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jamieneenah, May 17, 2009.

1. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    HI,

I've had about 6 cornish now around 3 weeks old who has had there legs go out and they just can't walk anymore. The legs feel fine, and look fine, but they won't curl up one or both feet anymore when you touch there feet. They will just hobble on one leg or lye down and strugle to move. The birds look fine and healthy except for the leg problem, which of course they are not going to be able to survive if they can't walk, so...

I have cornish that are almost 4 pounds now and they are doing fine. The ones that have had this leg issue are almost all around 20 ounces, and may have all been from the same hatching.

They all get vitamins in the water and get fed 12 on 12 off, starting at about 10 days. They are on a feed that is about 24% protein. Fresh water is maintained and they are given clean bedding every day. They have had almost no time outdoors.

At only 20 ounces in size, it is a real waste of a bird to have to cull them and toss em.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Jamie

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    You could treat them like Quail.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a similar issue with a couple of my birds- I culled and burned them, because I've found that there's little to no difference between a lot of leg problems and actually being sick, symptom-wise. My birds just layed there until the back side of the tractor ran them over when I was moving it, then they squacked. They'd move if they HAD to, but would flap their wings rather than walk. They're probably fine, but I figured why risk eating a sick bird?

4. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Quote:I have one right now that can't use his legs well at all, he sits on his but with his legs sticking out in front of him. However, he still get around enough to eat and drink, so I let him be.

I wish I understood why there legs stop working, if it is just pain or if something is damaged or what happens.

Jamie

5. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I had more dealings with leg problems over last year this time around. I processed five out and ate them when they were liek three weeks and still small. Three I moved to a pen, restricted food with a lower protein and they all recovered. I was able to process them out. You could always try is you have the space. Otherwise I would cull them. Good luck.

6. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I have one right now that can't use his legs well at all, he sits on his but with his legs sticking out in front of him. However, he still get around enough to eat and drink, so I let him be.

I wish I understood why there legs stop working, if it is just pain or if something is damaged or what happens.

Jamie

What came of this... did the bird regain his legs.... anyone have any suggestions on fixing it?

My bird just started doing this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by