Legs of a Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AUChick9202, May 6, 2011.

1. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    I have what I believe is a BA roo because he has the many of what I have learned are "roo-ish" features/behaviors.....he started getting his comb and wattles at 2.5 weeks, struts around with his neck stretched out and tail up, and is feathering more slowly than my girls. But his legs are the same size as my girls....do all roos have the larger legs? Do the larger legs just become more noticeable later?

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Not right away and can depend on breed as well.

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My Bantam Roos have the same thickness legs as their girl "friends".. I must say too my older sexlink girls have some THICK legs, lol, and we know they are girls [​IMG]

4. kjpanda

kjpanda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have two almost 4 week old Plymouth Rock's that are supposed to be girls, and they have huge legs. I see no sign of combs yet.......time will tell.

5. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

The "good grief those gams!" thing seems to be more reliable in heavy breeds and crosses of heavy breeds. I notice it most on our EEs. With lighter breeds like the Andy, it may not hold as true. Certainly the posture and facial changes that you're seeing with your chick are pretty darned suggestive that it's a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by