Legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ceejay1121, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ceejay1121

ceejay1121 New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Wish we would've known about things to look for when selecting chicks. We let our 13 year old pick out 6 chicks at Calahan's. Ended up with one of them having a weird leg once we got home & put them in brooder. Did our internet search and figured it was a spraddle leg and followed directions how to fix although there is not suggestion for how long to leave the bandaid on. After 2 weeks like this, we removed the 'splint' and thought it seemed a bit better. Resplinted and removed again because it wasn't fixing it all the way. She now has a foot that is completely turned upside down and she hops on one foot. It pains us to watch her. Wished husband and I would have checked chicks over before purchasing. Next time we will though. Also-there is nothing that we can find online with this leg issue. It looks like a deformity.

2. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    I know you probably won't want to hear this, but [​IMG] it might be best to cull the poor thing now, rather than letting her suffer. [​IMG] Things like that rarely resolve well, even with the splint method, and now that you've tried it and it failed, she will not have a good life. I'm sorry. [​IMG]

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I tend to agree with nightowl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by