Lemme git this straight. (?)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JimnJanet, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Araucanas are the real deal ? The original breed. ?
    Ameraucanas are the "Americanization" of that breed ?
    Easter eggers are anything else mixed with Araucana blood to git colored eggs from another breed of chicken ?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I thought easter eggers were same as ameraucanas who's color does not meet the standard, or a mix of ameraucana and a different breed that still lays a greenish egg.

I don't know about whether or not auracanas and ameraucanas are related. [​IMG]

3. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    i thought they were the same thing,arcaunas(sp),americaunas,and EE's,and im going to keep beliving that

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Google is your friend.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well EEers are not Amerucana's or Araucanas. They are just a mutt mix. You might be right on the others I'm not sure about that

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  7. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:EEs are mutts, they have nothing to do with arcaunas or americaunas

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Even feathersite doesn't have it quite right. Araucana in the US do not have muffs/beards.

The first poster is just about right, although there will always be arguments over who came first. They are all 3 different "breeds".

Jody

9. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    yep-- even Murray McMurray admits their "Americaunas" are NOT pureblood "Aracaunas".... but an "Americanized" version that may or may not have muffs/tufts and may be darned near any color...
    tho often other breeders try to pass off "Ameracaunas" or "Easter Eggers" as true Aracaunas...

The biggest thing about it is that they don't allways breed true-- so the offspring may or may not have the colored-egg genetics.

10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yep, the OP has is about right.

Aracaunas are the rumpless chickens that lay those gorgeous blue eggs. Araucanas and Ameraucanas are recognized as separate breeds.

Easter Eggers, which is what you get from most hatcheries, are mutts. They can lay anywhere from a khaki colored egg to a blue, green, or pink tinted egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by