Lemon a Very Special Little Hen (Silkie cross breed)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Oct 28, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I'm very proud of my little Silkie cross hen (Lemon) so I decided to tell you a little story of her. I'd like to introduce the Silkie crosses that have just stolen away my heart.

Also, check out this wonderful thread made by Nambroth! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=563302

Copyright
    [​IMG] 2011 Hannah Clark.

On the Red Rooster Farm, there is a pretty little yellow bantam named Lemon. This little yellow bantam is like no other chicken on the farm. She is a strikingly beautiful little hen with yellow feathers and a little yellow crest.

Who is this pretty little hen? Well, let me tell you about her.

Her father is a Sikie and her mother, a Quail Bantam. She was hand raised and loved. She was hated among the older girls-only to be the sunshine of our little farm.

Yes, Lemon is a very special hen. But why?

I’ll tell you the reason why. It’s because she has a very special mother.

You see, her mother is blind. When getting tree bark in her eye, she got a infection that left her blind for 4 years. Her mother (Chickadee) is an outstanding mother. At the age of 5 years old, she successfully raised two batches of chicks. In all she raised 13 chicks in one year.

Chickadee is the most popular hen here on our little acre.

Lemon was raised in the front yard of our home. I enjoyed spending long happy hours watching the chicks. It became my favorite thing to do. I would watch, observe, and take pictures.

You will learn more about Lemon as you follow this thread. Enjoy the colorful pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Nice.. keep us posted..

3. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    very pretty

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Thank you everybody!

5. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Love the pic up in the tree! [​IMG]

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Lemon is such a beautiful and adorable little hen! Love the pictures, they are gorgeous. [​IMG] That's so sweet that her mother was able to be a good mother despite her handicap!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

She is so Beautiful!!!

8. Patches The Hen

Patches The Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a Silkie cross that I love too [​IMG]
    Her name is Kevin.(I know it's strange, but it just fit's her)
    She even adopted some chicks from another hen; who had hatched 12 eggs but she couldn't set on all of them, so we gave some to Kevin. She gladly accepted them [​IMG]

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    She is so pretty! What gorgeous photos.

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    There's something about silkie crosses. My favorite chicken is Moe moe (my 2 year old named her), a silkie/ d uccle. Yours is a beauty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by