Lemon Blue Cochins -feeling a little sour?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pocketposies, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pocketposies

pocketposies Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I have a new little brood of 5 week old Lemon-Blue Cochins. Problem is, none are looking very Blue to me. I was wondering what the splits might be when hatching Lemon-Blues? Do I have some splash here, or just a bunch of buff/cream colors? I am pretty unfamiliar with the breed, but thought they would be a colorful addition to my backyard flock. I am wanting to cull down the bunch but don't know what ones to keep. I'd love to be able to hatch some Lemon Blues from them that actually LOOK Lemon Blue. Possible?

I would love your input! Also, is telling gender pretty straight forward with these, since they have the single comb? I feel like a have a couple pullets in there, but I'm not 100%.

Small Fry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Benedict
    [​IMG]

Converse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucky
    [​IMG]

Quiche Lorraine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, a couple shots from when they were only a couple days old
    (they are the yellow ones in the group)
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Those all look very splash to me but I'm not a lemon/blue cochin expert though I do think that some of the adults I've seen are [​IMG]

3. pocketposies

May 10, 2011
    I know, RIGHT?
    If they are all Splash, does it matter which Roo and which Pullets I keep? and what other pullet will I need to cross my Splash Roo with in order to get one that looks Lemon-BLUE?
    or would it be better to get a different color Roo to breed them to in order to get the Lemon-Blue.

I need chicken genetics for dummies. So Speak SLoWLy. [​IMG]

4. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
  5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You should get a lemon black rooster and keep all the lemon splash hens. You won't get all LB I think even if you breed LB to LB. I think it's only 50% plain, 50% lemon. Have to remeber where I saw that.

Black + Splash = 100% Blue

2 & 3 are for sure roos.

6. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  7. pocketposies

May 10, 2011
    Thanks! That link was helpful. Looks like I need to find a Brown/Red Cochin to breed with my Splash. Anyone? [​IMG]

Here's a question: I bought my chicks from a Breeder of Lemon/Blues (Bishops Chickens,) it just happened that I ended up will all Splash. Would you put in another order with them and hope for some true looking Lemon/Blues, or instead find a Brown/Red to use with my Splash and create my own?
    I just really want to end up with a couple "true" Lemon/Blue Cochins that LOOK Lemon/Blue. I am not wanting to become a hatchery, so-to-speak. [​IMG]

Although, the pictures of the older Splash Lemon Blues on that thread made me happy. Really Beautiful!

Also, someone on there mentioned if you breed back Lemon/Blue Splash with each other eventually you will end up with Lemon/Blue coloring?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    They are gorgeous. I just wanted to add that I love you named one Quiche Lorainne... Love that song!

9. pocketposies

May 10, 2011
    Baahaaha! Glad to know there's other 80's music fans out there!
    It's fun naming the chicks. I let my kids name a couple and then I reserve the right to name the rest! haha!
    I thought it was clever of my daughter to name one of the Roos "Converse". She loves wearing hi-tops (thanks to her parents overt 80's influence undoubtedly) and thought the name appropriate since they have feathered feet.

10. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Alot of people are calling breeding buff x blue = lemon blue, that is not the case. They will not breed true. I breed lemon blue x lemon blue and get lemon blue. With differing varieties of blue color. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by