1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lemon Brahma with bleeding and sore foot.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Casper417, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Casper417

Casper417 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Hi, i have a 3 year old lemon brahma cockeral, one of his feet often bleeds, it quickly stops and drys up but it hurts him when he puts weight on it. What can i treat it with to stop it getting infected and to help the pain.

Thank you.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Do you know the cause of bleeding - does he have any sores, wounds, scabs, cuts, etc. on his foot that keeps opening up?
    Where is he being kept - coop, run, free range, etc.?

You first need to determine the cause of the bleeding - look for any wounds or scabs on his foot (bottoms too). Without knowing why it's bleeding and he doesn't want to put weight on it, it's hard to know what to advise.

Clean the foot with some saline, betadine or warm soapy water , for any cuts apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment. If he has swelling, hotness, redness, some type of infection or Bumblefoot, then method of treatment would be a little different.

Keep him on clean dry bedding, even if this means keeping him separated from the flock in a cage at this time until you can figure out the cause.

3. Casper417

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive posted some pictures i think it could just be a cut that keeps reopening. He has recently moved into a new run with stones in so i think that could be why its hurting more now so im going to pick out most of them and try to break the lumps of soil to make it abit more even and level. I will try cleaning the wound today and keep him on dry clean bedding for a few days.

4. Casper417

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Ive cleaned his feet so its abit clearer to see now. He holds his left leg up and limps on it more than the right.

[​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Soak the feet in some warm soapy water to help get some more of the mud/debris out of the feathers, legs and folds of the feet. Anti-bacterial soap (like Dial) or dish liquid (like Dawn) works well. Gently scrub the legs with a soft brush, trying to get in the nooks and crannies.

The feet look inflamed, so after he's cleaned up, soak his feet/legs in some epsom salts, betadine, Chlorhexidine or something similar to help with healing and hopefully to reduce inflammation. For any cuts/wounds that you see, apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. He would most like benefit from a daily soaking of healing solution and re-application of ointment for several days. Drying the feet the best you can and keeping him dry bedding.

It looks like he may have some scaly leg mites as well, I see some raised scales. For those, while your cleaning him up, make the water deep enough to soak the legs too, then where you can, gently brush the scales as well to help loosen any mite debris. Coconut oil, A+D ointment, Vaseline or similar applied to the legs will help smother the mites. SLM can be hard to battle, especially on feathered feet/legs, so apply your choice of oil/ointment daily to the scales as well.

To give him a boost, provide him with some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week and offer him some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Keep us posted.

6. Casper417

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Thank you very much i will keep you updated on his progress.

7. Casper417

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Sorry to keep asking questions but ive just been working out which treatments to use.
    I'll soak the feet in soapy water to clean them. Then can i use just iodine to soak the feet and legs in to help with the inflammation and cuts or should i buy vetericyn aswell.

When that has dried i was going to use a product called 'Net-tex just for scaly legs' to suffocate the mites and help with irritation. Should i treat all of my chickens for scaly leg mite?

Thank you.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you have Iodine, I don't see why you can't use that on the cuts. Vetericyn is very good but pricey. If the cuts don't heal, then try something like Neosporin or even some Blu Kote. Keeping the feet somewhat clean and dry go a long way in promoting healing. Feather feet can sometimes be difficult to do that with, the feathers trap moisture and dirt, so do the best you can.

The Nettex sounds good! I forgot you were in the UK(?) so you have different products available[​IMG] Scaly leg mites are transmittable, so you may want to inspect your other flock member to see if they have any developing and treat them.

9. Casper417

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Yes i have some iodine so ive just to buy some net-tex and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by