Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Questions!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by annas orps, Nov 16, 2014.

1. annas orps

annas orps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    We bought a trio of Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons this Spring, at about eight weeks old - one rooster and two pullets. The breeder we got them from had several other adult Lemons in his garden and they were stunning. However the trio we bought he hatched from eggs shipped from a breeder in the UK. (I'll add that we are in Ireland)

These chickens were hatched in April, so I'm guessing that makes them around 7 months old. The rooster is gorgeous although hasn't started crowing yet (except maybe sometimes in the mornings, I've never heard it but apparently my parents have!!) The two pullets are so similar but their colouring isn't as cuckoo like as the roosters and they are a totally different colour, more buff like whereas the rooster is a real pale yellow.

I am hoping to hatch some eggs from this trio in the Spring, all going to plan, and was wondering (based on the below pictures) what others thought of them as examples of Lemon Cuckoo Orps? Do they look like good potential breeding birds? This is my first time having Orps so I'm still learning, opinions welcomed :)

Here's some pictures of the two pullets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the rooster:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by