Lemon Cuckoo Orpington

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by micayc, Jul 13, 2011.

1. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    i AM LOOKINF FOR A ROO. NEAR OR IN pa. [​IMG]

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Breed your own. It is a known fact that a lot of white Orps carry the cuckoo gene. Just get a white male carrier and breed him to your buffs and you should get some cuckoos males and females to start your project. Cuckoo is a sexlink gene and should be easy for anyone to figure out. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. micayc

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    I got Some!!!!! Happy dance!! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Mr. Shaffer, do you raise Cuckoo Orpingtons? I feel like I remember seeing them listed in your signature line before.

5. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Jeremy,.

Mr. Shaffer, do you raise Cuckoo Orpingtons? I feel like I remember seeing them listed in your signature line before.

Yes, I have a few cuckoos but most of my whites are carriers so they are easy to obtain with just the first cross. I do not have lemon cuckoos because I do not have any buffs and since space is limited I probably never will. I am done doing projects because there is never enough room to keep everything. Would like to see someone produce a chocolate LF Ameraucana though.

6. micayc

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    [​IMG] yep,Now I want chocolates!!!!!

7. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I also would like to see Chocolate Ameraucanas, How could that be done any ideas?

8. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    [BuffyGRL,

I also would like to see Chocolate Ameraucanas, How could that be done any ideas? This would be a good question to post on the Ameraucana Thread. Since this is a Orpington subject thread.

micayc,
    Glad you found your Lemon Cuckoo chicks and hope you get those chocolates also. Good luck, Harry

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Chocolates would be pretty easy, I would imagine. I mean at least compared to a project like Lavender.

With one cross you could have visually Chocolate birds, that would also be sex linked. Then you just breed those Chocolate hens back to pure Black Ameraucanas and go from there, over and over again until you meet the SOP as closely as possible. Egg color and type would be the biggest problems to correct at first.

I'd love to work with Chocolates, it will probably be a few years though as the prices for birds being sold are just too high for me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. So would they just be made by crossing Chocolate Orps with Black Ameraucanas?

I read that its more difficult to actually get a choc roo because of the sex-linked gene. I am definately gonna keep my eye out

Thank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by